Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YSS shocks

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster low

YSS shocks

Hi all, has anybody any experience of YSS shocks on a Sporty? I was looking at them as a bit cheaper alternative to ones like Hagon Nitro ones.
    I want to replace the shocks on my ‘09 1200L, with a longer pair to give more cornering clearance, and more travel for when the wife comes with me.
    Ray.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettshubby For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (12-15-2017)

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    So straight off the bat they don't show any for the XL range of bike i.e. Sportster. The latest bike they show is '07. This is a company that obviously doesn't keep up with latest bikes in the Harley range.

Let's just suppose they are the best shocks in the world but why does the company not want to market them to you?

Unfortunately I can't help you but hopefully if you contact them you will get the information you need.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Sorry Nettshubby,

I've no experience of YSS shocks.

Delboy of YouTube's Delboy's Garage has fitted YSS shocks on three of his bikes, a Triumph 900 Scrambler, an H-D Softail and his current project bike a turbo charged XJR Yamaha.

My Ride

Yss

Quote Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
    So straight off the bat they don't show any for the XL range of bike i.e. Sportster. The latest bike they show is '07. This is a company that obviously doesn't keep up with latest bikes in the Harley range.

Let's just suppose they are the best shocks in the world but why does the company not want to market them to you?

Unfortunately I can't help you but hopefully if you contact them you will get the information you need.
    A company in Lancashire is selling them. I want a pair that are longer than the standard XL Low ones and they stock them to fit Sportsters.

I read the members report on the Nitron shocks, and want a pair for the same reasons, but not bothered about sport riding, just more travel for when the wife comes along, and more cornering clearance. the YSS ones are about £100 cheaper than the Nitrons and I just wondered what the quality was like.

A pair of custom built cheaper ones from Hagon were another option, as they can tailor them to an individuals specs.

Ray.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Hi Ray, I have had a conversation with somebody about this recently as I have the identical bike, and the same problems as you!
    Are you on the Sportster Sickness page on Facebook?
    I looked at YSS too, but have ended up with a pair of Showa gas shocks off a 2017 Iron. They are just over 13” centres and fit straight on instead of our pathetic stock 11. 3/4” units. I haven’t ridden with them yet, but tried out a pair of 13” stock shocks off an earlier Iron and they were good, but the owner of the bike they are off had changed to the 2017 units and said they were much better two up.
    I can recommend Hagon, they give excellent advice (they say 13” is the best for our bikes) and I have fitted their fork springs, which have vastly improved my front end. No more bottoming out or clashing. I ran out of cash before I could buy their Nitros, but many new Iron owners are lowering their bikes ( the current fashion!) so “take off” long shocks are available at reasonable prices.
    Good luck,

Pete.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldvelonut For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (12-23-2017), Mark881 (01-08-2018), Nettshubby (12-24-2017)

My Ride
    Thanks for that, Oldvelonut, another option to look into.
    Re the fork springs, do they increase travel at all? Or are they just stronger, or multi rate? I would have thought the tubes would need swapping for that though.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200N
    Nothing to add on the YSS shocks specifically, but shocks properly sprung for your specific weight/load is what you want. In short, Hagon Nitros are great but if they aren't sprung right the upgrade may not work as well as YSS shock that meet your needs.

In regards to new springs, they are one of the easiest and beneficial upgrades for Sporties. They won't change the travel (if you stay with stock length), but will help braking dive and road feel if the springs are chosen correctly. For ease of use/swapping, many people like progressive rate front springs, but I prefer properly chosen straight rate springs.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Mine are the Hagon Progressive with appropriate preload to limit the initial sag. These were chosen after the aforementioned comprehensive discussion with Dave at Hagons. He also recommended sae 15 fork oil, which I used. I will dig out the part spec after tea and post it.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Ok, the springs I have fitted are Hagon part no. 400-066-04 and they are 520mm long. The stock springs have a 585mm free length but 45mm sticks out the top of the tube. Add 20mm for the top plug and that is 65mm total preload as the fitted length of the spring is 520mm.
    Hagon also do a 540 and a 555 long spring for the Sportster with similar spring rates, but I went for the 520 as it is easier to preload the spring if the spacer tube is already inside the fork tube when you push down on the top plug (you will need a good 1.3/8 AF socket for that!).
    I made a couple of 1.1/2” long spacer tubes and added a 3mm spacer washer to give a preload I was happy with. This has slightly reduced the initial sag and the forks no longer bottom out. The overall travel of the fork remains the same, but all of it is usable because of the better spring rate so the ride is much improved.
    The stock set up is ok for a 12 stone solo rider, but the rear springs are too stiff because of their limited travel and, bizzarely, the front forks are too soft!
    Do the fork springs first (under £100 including oil) and see if you can borrow some 13” stock shocks to see if you like the ride height before splashing out on new ones.
    Have fun!
    Pete C.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    There are 39mm stainless steel fork tube extensions for Sportster's available in the USA.

The come in 2", 3" and 4" long, simply screw them into the tube threads and you have longer forks.

Prices start at $90 a pair.

s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1000.jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 12-25-2017 at 01:37 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Oldvelonut (12-26-2017)