My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1992 Dyna Super Glide FXDC

What year Exhaust system fits a 1992 EVO Dyna?

Hi guys, I have a 1992 Dyna Super Glide FXDC and have been looking for an exhaust system to quieten her down a bit (I currently have drag pipes from the PO), perhaps an OEM system. These are hard to come by for that year. i could get new pipes which would fit but Im looking for a used set.

My question is what years exhaust pipes will fit my bike? Generally its 1990-1995 I think (when the frame changed) but some say as long as its an EVO it should fit...but then I see adverts from V&H for example for new exhaust systems that say "Fits 1990-2011".

Is the issue with the way the headers fit or how the pipes are secured to the bike which I can get modified?
    If its just the attachment fitting to the bike then my search can be much bigger. I don't have much option to look before buying as I need to buy online so i don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks for any clarification.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Monchidog For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (12-15-2017)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hello Monchdog,

As I said in reply to your first post, I'm no expert on Big Twins.

The Evolution V-twins motors were first produced in 1984 as a replacement for the aging Pan Head engine, they were in production until 1998. The Twin Cam motor replaced the Evo in 1999.

So you'd be looking for an exhaust system for 1984 to 1998 Evolution, the main thing is that the header pipes fit the engine, which any 84 - 98 will. If the muffler mounting points are different on later models, that can be overcome with a little bit of work.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 12-15-2017 at 08:13 PM.

My Ride
    Street Bob Special
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Hello Monchdog,

As I said in reply to your first post, I'm no expert on Big Twins.

The Evolution V-twins motors were first produced in 1984 as a replacement for the aging Pan Head engine, they were in production until 1998. The Twin Cam motor replaced the Evo in 1999.

So you'd be looking for an exhaust system for 1984 to 1998 Evolution, the main thing is that the header pipes fit the engine, which any 84 - 98 will. If the muffler mounting points are different on later models, that can be overcome with a little bit of work.
    Dave, if you're no expert then why not leave it to someone who is? Anyone can google 'evo'.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trevor the Toad For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (12-31-2017), Whistler (12-31-2017)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor the Toad View Post
    Dave, if you're no expert then why not leave it to someone who is? Anyone can google 'evo'.

Sorry Trevor,

Yes I'm out of my depth a bit with big twins, Sportster's are my thing.

I'll leave big twins to the big boys next time.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1992 Dyna Super Glide FXDC
    Hi guys, thanks for this. Its been a while but i spoke to someone at Supertrapp and they said pretty much up to at least 2005 Dyna should be ok as the headers will fit, but yes there may be a bit of work with the muffler mounting pints. in the end I bought some OEM pipes from 1995 so they will fit fine.

My question now is when i change from my Drag Pipes (with an S&S Super e carb) to the standard OEM do i need to modify anything on the carb...I don't think so but anyone with experience please jump in. Cheers.