My Ride
    Harley Davidson

Screaming Eagle or Vance and Hines?

I have recently bought a 1200T Sportster Superlow and want to "make it sound like a proper Harley"
    Should I go slip on's, or stage 1 upgrade?
    Should I go Vance and Hines or Screaming Eagle?
    Can someone advise please?
    Regards
    Tony

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hello Tony,

A warm welcome to the forum from the Pennine hills of West Yorkshire.

If you're just after that traditional Harley-Davidson sound, the cheapest option is to fit a pair of slip-on mufflers, you won't have to alter the fuelling if you just fit slip-on's and keep the stock air filter. A pair of mufflers will cost you upwards from £300, much cheaper than a stage 1 upgrade of a complete exhaust system, a free breathing air filter and a re-fuelling device. If fitted by an H-D dealer a full stage 1 upgrade can cost between £1.6K and £2K. You could start off with slip-on's and go for the full stage 1 if you feel it necessary to go down that road. Slip-on mufflers will increase the horse power by around 5%, and the stage 1 will give you a 10% increase in horsepower. The cost might actually outweigh the benefit of the relatively small increase in power output.

There are many brands and models of slip-on mufflers available, Vance & Hines, Screamin' Eagle, Cobra, Python, Cycle Shack, Bassini, Rinehart, Rush and Remus are some of the aftermarket manufacturers who make slip-on's for Sportster's. It's all down to personal preference which one you choose, I suggest you have a look on YouTube to hear how different brands of muffler sound.

In 2012 I bought a pair of Python III slip-on mufflers for my 2011 Iron from J&B Cycles in Wisconsin, they cost me £300 including delivery and all taxes. I like the sound of the Python mufflers, they emit a deep throaty rumble.

I've noticed that you haven't stated which model year your Superlow is, if it's a newer model, you'll need mufflers for a 2014 - 2018 bike, if it's an older bike you'll need to buy 2004 - 2013 mufflers. The exhausts were changed for the 2013 model year due to ABS brakes becoming stock fitment on Sportster's for 2013 onwards.

Here is a YouTube video of a 2011 Iron with Python III slip-on mufflers.

Good luck with your quest.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 12-05-2017 at 10:37 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

sooty (12-05-2017), Tony Lumb (12-06-2017)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Hi Tony, welcome to the forum from a fellow sporty rider in Fife. You could Google a variety of exhausts on you tube. That'll give you an idea of the sound you may be looking for. All Harleys,are quieter as standard, irrespective of the model. I have kept mine standard as having ridden both a streetbob and 48 with aftermarket pipes, they would curtail my late night, early morning rides, as they were just too loud. Can't believe I said that, must be getting old
    FTW )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Tony Lumb (12-06-2017)

My Ride
    FLHR Road King
    I am thinking about options for my Road King but too many choices! I assume insurance will go up even with slip on mufflers?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sooty For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (12-06-2017), Tony Lumb (12-06-2017)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty View Post
    I am thinking about options for my Road King but too many choices! I assume insurance will go up even with slip on mufflers?
    Actually look into it, I don't think it does.
    FTW )

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (12-06-2017), sooty (12-06-2017), Tony Lumb (12-06-2017)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Ok sooty,

The insurance for my Iron only went up by £20 for the Stage 1 upgrade, that's not a lot.

Best to check with your insurer before making any changes, that way you won't get a nasty surprise when it's time to sort the insurance out.

Also get a few quotes from several insurers.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

sooty (12-06-2017), Tony Lumb (12-06-2017)

My Ride
    Harley Davidson
    Thanks all for the responses, will now mull over till the new year.
    The bike is a 17 plate, anyone know if I do have the work done by a non HD dealer will it have an effect on the warranty?
    Regards
    Tony

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Lumb For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (12-06-2017)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Tony,

Any mechanical modifications carried out by an official H-D dealer during your bikes first two years will not affect your warranty.

If they're carried out by an independent dealer or yourself, this will invalidate your warranty.

Cosmetic modifications like custom engine covers etc shouldn't affect your warranty, but it's best to check with your local H-D dealership before proceeding with any modifications by yourself.