Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revs hanging

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200C
    WD may now produce many products including dedicated lubricants which may be more than fine for cables BUT WD40 in its original blue can form IS NOT and never was an effective lubricant. Read the tin. It is made up of base plus carrier compounds which
    when applied do indeed have lubrication qualities of a light machine oil but the carrier is volatile and soon evaporates off leaving the base which is far less effective and can in quantity leave a sludgy sticky mess behind which actually attracts dirt. Applied as a cleaner and wiped off, it's very effective due to the solvent carrier.

It offers a small degree of corrosion protection but in lots of studies done by those in the firearms business looking for longer term effective lubrication properties combined with light lubrication for things like bolt carriers, it was found to be next to useless. I've taken part in those studies myself as a qualified engineer, but what do I know.

Their other products I'm sure are ok, but lets put to bed the myth that original WD is anything other than a water dispersant volatile penetrating oil, not a lubricating oil.

I use it for helping with stubborn or rusted bolts, and for water dispersion (which is what it was primarily designed for, as a penetrating compound). Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would never recommend WD as a general lubricant because there are many more suitable products out there for that purpose including some of WD's other newer products. For those wishing to persist with using the blue can WD as a lubricant...knock yourselves out.
    Last edited by BuckhornBud; 11-14-2017 at 04:00 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-14-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200C
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    I use Acf 50 on my cables now. It coats them long term and prevents them drying up and rusting. Historically, I used a 3-1 oil over wd 40, for the same reasons.
    ACF is far superior to WD in just about every respect. 3 in 1 is fine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

Whistler (11-14-2017)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Cheers BuckhornBud,

While we're on the subject of ACF-50, before I left the forum for a break, I promised to set a competition with a can of ACF-50 for the winner.

I'll stick to that promise and set a competition soon.

Watch this space.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Mark881 (11-16-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Thanks again folks. A thought did pop into my head last night though, when I fitted the air filter I followed the instructions carefully and made sure the new gasket supplied for between the filter and intake went on. Very low torque settings for the two screws that hold the filter on though, so wondering whether the gasket is doing its job or letting air past. Was tempted to smear both sides with a bit of gasket sealant, but no mention of this in the K&N instructions so I didn't do that. Any thoughts on that ?. Same with the slip ons, was tempted to use an exhaust assembly paste but again no mention in the V&H instructions so didn't.

Going to take the bike to a bike Dyno place I`ve found up at Durham, so not too far away. When I don`t know, weather is a bit unpredictable now and the roads have been salted now too. They seem ok, explained I am not after any power increase, just want to be sure the mixture is ok and that the bike isn't running lean. Meanwhile, on the rare dry days over the coming months, may just experiment with the FP3 autotune feature. Read on another forum too, when downloading the map to pick the one for exhaust without baffles. I`m guessing the amount of fuel injected is slightly higher on that map ?. I used the one for standard baffles.

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    For the autotune you can do a couple of things:
    If you just have a style of riding that you are happy with then ride in that way for a couple of tanks and then call it quits.

Or connect your phone and have it mounted so you can see it with the autotune map displayed.
    Pick roads with hills to allow you to get higher throttle position with lower rpm as that is quite hard to do. Run the engine to maximum rpm in the first few gears holding the throttle position as you go all the way to wide open.

At other times open the throttle to a set position and hold it. Repeat from closed to full open.

Observe on your phone how you hit each square and possibly how long it takes to go green.

By picking different road types it is not overly onerous to get a large portion of the map filled in.

DSCF1547.jpg
    This was one of my early runs.

I am sure you have found similar advise that I did about some best approaches.
    Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 11-15-2017 at 07:42 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    I am following this thread with interest as I also plan a visit to a dyno soon. I don’t have an FP3 but the bike came with a Supertuner Pro (the orange one) can this be used for auto tuning too? If so, where do I get the leads to connect it to my iPad or iPhone?
    My 2009 XL1200L has Short Shots, V&H Duke air filter and stage one tune (currently on a 1200 conversion + stage one map as the original 1200 + stage one map was too “manic” round town, and the dealer can only change the generic map)
    Last edited by Oldvelonut; 11-28-2017 at 07:21 PM.