My Ride
    Heritage Softail Classic

Softail HD Engine Staged Upgrades

Hi Folks, just enquiring if anyone here has a lot of experience with the HD Staged upgrades.

I ride a 2015 Heritage Classic, like the bike the ride and handling and want to stay with her just needed that extra performance with increased Torque and some HP.
    2015 Heritage Classic
    110 Big Bore HD Kit
    Woods 999-6a cams with Woods High-Capacity Tappets
    HD Large Oil pump
    Screamin’ Eagle® air breather
    Power Vision Tuner - TQ120 & HP116
    Fat Cat 2-1 Pro Exhaust with perforated Baffle

My Ride
    Heritage Softail Classic
    Anyone here done any Dyno work on their engines
    2015 Heritage Classic
    110 Big Bore HD Kit
    HD Large Oil pump

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    no but as and when you do let us know the gains etc BJ will be interesting

My Ride
    Heritage Softail Classic
    Hi Dave, done a lot of work researching and paying out for some work and still more to do, love my ride and just want that extra thrust occassionally, what the heck.

Started with a stage 2 raising the HP slightly and the Torgue but realised that was not really enough umph so went to the HD Stage IV kit and yep, got some reasonable numbers adding the 255 cams and & SE-CNC Heads and SE 58mm throttle body that come with the kit and the V&H Straight Shots:

Then I got HD to change the Stage 2 and installed the HD full Stage IV kit with increased compression pistons and lifters, stayed with the V&H Straight Shots and big Screaming Eagle air filter and changed the cams to the 259e cams. Numbers were 94HP and 102 Torgue. Now Torgue is really what we want, the acceleration out of corners and roundabouts, the HP really only helps the high end and running 70mph plus, the HP is fine but I think less important for us Harley riders. If you want 120-130mph plus, buy a sports bike I guess.

HD in Bridgewater did the Dyno runs for me and out of 3 runs, I quoted the average numbers

Now, this is where it starts to get interesting, if I stay with the Stage IV setup and and change the V&H Straight Shot exhaust pipes to the V&H Pro 2-1 exhaust, the Torgue will increase circa 6-7 and HP 10-11 and thats quite a big jump (numbers provided by Screaming Eagle factory). But, with further research, rather than the V&H Straight Shots that look good, or changing to the V&H Pro 2-1, I would get increased performance by fitting the Fat Cat D&D 2 -1, as this exhaust system will give increased Torgue and HP over the Pro V&H 2-1!

Adding to the Stage IV, you could add the Stage V Big Bore Kit but working for some weeks now with Fuel-Moto in the USA, they have hundreds of Dyno results and instead of changing from the 103 to the Big Bore 110 kit, they suggest just changing the Cams to 999-6A with adjustable push rods click here and gaskits click here, the D&D Fat Cat chrome exhust 580z-32 and change the lifters click here. Also tuning the bike is the most import aspect and without a Dyno, (no bike can be really tuned simply plugging in the Screaming Eagle software box)! Then use the Fuel Moto tuner with a Dyno for best results click here.

So, lot of info but all backed up with some inside HD technicians here in the UK and Fuel-Moto head of technical support and Screaming Eagle tech support who has personally worked on thousands of Harleys.

Work still in progress but when I finish, I shall publish the results so you will have some solid info before anyone decides to make changes to their engines performance, I can assure you, having HD over here do the work is fine, but there are better performing parts out there that are HD approved, so shop around folks, worth doing the research.

Link might help >>>Torgue v HP<<<

Last edited by BJ; 11-03-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    2015 Heritage Classic
    110 Big Bore HD Kit
    HD Large Oil pump

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BJ For This Useful Post:

acbreeze (11-03-2017)

My Ride
    Heritage Softail Classic
    What is Horsepower?

Horsepower is a unit of measurement designed to quantify the work an engine is doing. When the term horsepower was developed, horses were still one of the major transportation and work methods in use, but steam power was a rising force. Steam engine manufacturers needed a way to demonstrate the value of steam compared to horsepower. The calculations for a single horsepower are based on the amount of work a horse could do per minute. Of course, that varies by the horse and the task in question, so today, engine manufacturers use a stabilized number as a representation. One horsepower is the equivalent amount of work that it takes to move 33,000 pounds for a distance of one foot in one minute.

What Does Horsepower Mean?

In any engine, horsepower is continuous power. After the engine gets up to speed, the horsepower keeps it there. Horsepower is the high end of engine performance. It doesn’t get the vehicle (bike or car) off the starting gate quickly, but it does allow the motor to perform flawlessly at high speeds. More horsepower means a smooth ride after acceleration.

Where Does Torque Come In?

Torque is what allows a bike or car to jump off the starting line like a rocket. Torque is the measure of how much force causes an object to rotate. Typically measured in pounds per foot, an engine’s torque value determines its acceleration. The average buyer may not understand the difference, but if you are an enthusiast, you certainly do. According to Charles Hubbard with Lexus College, “A lot of people buy horsepower, when what they really want is torque.”
    Exciting numbers like zero-to-60 in less than four seconds don’t happen due to horsepower. They happen when the bike has enough torque to support that kind of rapid acceleration.
    Last edited by BJ; 11-03-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    2015 Heritage Classic
    110 Big Bore HD Kit
    HD Large Oil pump

My Ride
    Heritage Softail Classic
    OK, so here goes on my recent numbers:

Original upgrade was a Stage II, new cams 255, V&H Straight Shots numbers were poor at around 82HP & 86TQ

Remeber base HP for these rides can be the high 60's!!

Next Stage IV kit added >>>Link<<< got the HP to 96 and the TQ to 102 with the 259e cams, (much better cam)

As I do like that increased power when needed, not often but nice to know its there I had the 110 Big Bore kit added but changed a few things:

Here it is:

103 to 110 Big Bore HD Kit

Woods 999-6a cam with adjustable pushrods and gasket/o-ring kit
    click here for pushrod, click here for gasket kit.
    Lifters upgrade (click here) with the kit
    Larger oil pump for helping keep engine cool
    FAT Cat 2-1 Pro Exhaust with perforated baffles (Link is not my bike, just example of exhaust)

Power Vision Tuner (replacement for the HD screaming eagle tuner HD are discontinuing).

Well, my numbers before really running in are now 118HP and 110TQ

So, what I have I learned, if you love your bike and want to have that extra power then fine, I could have saved a ton of money (with part/ex) buying a new 2018 Ultra or most of the bagger range of bikes with the new engine but hey, this is my Heritage and been with me 3 years now with over 32,000miles in my first 2 years riding in the Middle East so had to bring her home and I am pleased, wow, you bet, she really has the guts to cruise with the best of them and for sure, will never be left behind again in a run.

Looking forward to my runs to France this year, St Tropez in May, Prague in July, Dolomites later and can't wait

Ride safe everyone

BJ

PS I also added the Shot Gun air shocks and they were hell to install but hey, they make a huge difference depending on the terrain you are riding.

Last edited by BJ; 02-23-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    2015 Heritage Classic
    110 Big Bore HD Kit
    HD Large Oil pump

My Ride
    Heritage Softail Classic
    Wow, just had my build professionally tuned and the numbers whilst brilliant, they cannot match the upgrade in riding performance, amazing what a good tune can unlock on your ride:

TQ120
    HP116

And I hear the purist say buy a racing bike, but if you love your ride and just want that little bit extra when needed, I would highly recommend taking your time and start with a base map and work up from there, happy days
    2015 Heritage Classic
    110 Big Bore HD Kit
    HD Large Oil pump