Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Ride
    Softail Slim FLS 2012

Softail Slim starting issue

Hi all, having an issue starting my Slim. The electrical system appears to work, you can hear the fuel pump but it won't crank. Any ideas? I'm a total novice when it comes to this kind of thing!

Here is a link to a video of the issue:
    https://youtu.be/Rdj27Rrvm5w

Would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on what they think this could be. I'm thinking starter motor or plugs. The bike is a 2012 and on 6500 miles. Rear plug looks a bit rusty and white on the outside so might be an issue. Going to get a socket to remove it and check it.

Thanks
    Chris

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Welcome to the forum, even with the issue!

Sounds like it's throwing an initial crank to me? How good is the battery and how old is it? 12 Volts indicated means nothing if the capacity is shot. Only way of testing is with a large rheostat load tester and you won't have one of those. 5 years is about it life wise on a battery and bike of so little mileage. That is where I would start as my guess is that it's 'goosed' being in the electrical trade and from the evidence presented.
    Last edited by K9F; 10-28-2017 at 01:21 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Softail Slim FLS 2012
    Hi K9F,

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice! I ended up getting a new battery, plugged it in and it's all golden again

The guy at the dealership said to get a tender for it or else it will discharge in a week or so due to the alarm. Is that strictly true do you know? I will generally be riding on dry days so it may be in the garage a lot over the winter.

Cheers
    Chris

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Great news, as suspected, it was cranking but only just. Yes a tender is a great idea. Mine is hooked up to a tender whenever I'm not on it.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    As a footnote:

There is a difference between a battery charger and a battery tender, a charger simply charges and a tender will simulate daily use by purposely charging and slightly discharging your battery whilst constantly maintaining enough capacity to start the vehicle. Optimate make some great battery tenders one gave me sterling service for over 18 years. I now have a Harley-Davidson branded one which looks and is not much bigger than a computer mouse. The latter has been in constant use for a little over two years.

My Ride
    Softail Slim FLS 2012
    Awesome thanks for the info again I haven't got power in my garage so I'm looking into a solar power tender... Do you know if I would need to buy a tender and then a solar power pack separately to plug into it? Cheers again!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjdavies View Post
    Awesome thanks for the info again I haven't got power in my garage so I'm looking into a solar power tender... Do you know if I would need to buy a tender and then a solar power pack separately to plug into it? Cheers again!
    Is the garage far from the house??? Getting a feed put in isnít really all that expensive plus it would let you tinker with the bike on those long dark winter nights in peace and quiet away from the bellows of the other half....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Softail Slim FLS 2012
    Unfortunately it's a council garage and a bit of a distance from my flat. Will have a search on the forum for solar powering tenders. Cheers for the reply

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjdavies View Post
    Unfortunately it's a council garage and a bit of a distance from my flat. Will have a search on the forum for solar powering tenders. Cheers for the reply
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Prod.../dp/B000R593JW

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

My Ride
    If i was getting the solar panel one i sent a link to i would buy the extending lead and mout the panel on the garage roof away from prying eyes on an angled board facing south....read the reviews and look online for any others but it gives you an idea of whats out there

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk