My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Softail

Primary case stuck.

Hi all, I'm trying to get my primary outer case off, but it seems to be stuck on really hard! All the bolts are definitely out, but I'm at the stage of getting big pry bars and screwdrivers in a gap, and it's not budging. Is it on a dowel? Don't want to use too much force, but I'm a bit surprised how tightly stuck it is. Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    V Twin
    Hi, try and find a picture of one to see the inside and check against yours. If you're sure all the bolts are off, a gentle tap with a rubber mallet might help.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Softail
    Have belted it really hard with a rubber mallet, also a piece of wood and tapped all around. On YT videos it practically falls off.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Perseverance and gentle force is the key. If you have a steel rule (worked well for me in such cases) see if you can edge this in anywhere around the casing and then methodically and slowly work your way round it forcing it in to cut it's way round? Once the steel rule is in you can gently tap it's edge to move it round between the faces. If a steel rule won't work try a Stanley Knife blade then move up to the steel rule. If somebody has used a decent quality sealant like Hylomar clouting it will not shift it and you have the inherent danger of doing some serious and expensive damage if the case throws it's hand in and cracks?
    Last edited by K9F; 10-24-2017 at 09:55 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Softail
    Feels like it's springing back in?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrides Harley View Post
    Feels like it's springing back in?
    And......?

Am still trying to help here!

I'd wager it's had gasket sealer as mentioned above that's been applied. Remove the bolts and it should almost drop off? How far does it come away from the inner case? Did you try running a steel rule around it to cut any sealant as suggested?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGT_lChpld0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdMNtgwvdm0
    Last edited by K9F; 10-24-2017 at 06:50 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Softail
    I've got it separated all along the top and most of the way underneath, but I can put a pry bar in and lever it out maybe half an inch, and it wants to "snap" back, like it's still held by maybe a spring? I've watched all the vids, case just drops off, but mine seems to have a helluva grip. Got quite a lot experience working on other bikes, but this is my first Harley, want to be sure I'm not missing something. Reason for taking it off is because the gasket has been leaking oil from the bottom since I got it.

My Ride
    V Twin
    Hi, check your bolts to see if one has sheared in half. The other half could be stuck inside holding it on.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I saw the post for the reasoning behind removing it. Where you say you got 'most' of it separated underneath can you get something in there to get the remaining released?

If so I too am at a loss why it doesn't release? On a couple of models it tells you to slacken off the clutch cable but I wouldn't have thought it was pertinent for your Softail?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Softail
    Case now off, seemed to be jammed on a dowel, came off with a crack,will look over closely in daylight. Cheers for help/encouragement.