Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1978 flh police special

1978 flh police special

I have acquired a 1978 police special recently. It's been parked up since 2009. It will have a new battery and mot when up for sale. I'm going to clean the dust off and thats it. Any ideas on the value? Is anyone interested?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin748 View Post
    ......It will have a new battery and mot when up for sale. I'm going to clean the dust off and thats it. Any ideas on the value? Is anyone interested?
    If you want interest perhaps you should reconsider your wording to reflect you have shown some interest in what you are selling. Someone could be buying a right lemon and an MOT means squit!

For example in 1978 the they had an engine upgrade from 1200cc to 1338cc, what engine is in it? Drum or disc brakes (as the drums were more effective)? How many miles has it done? Any service history up to 2009, general condition, how old are the tyres, when was it last run????? A bike of that age (and suspect condition) will undoubtedly require spanner time and money!

Last year a mate of mine sold a 1998 Road King with just over 10k miles on it for less than £5k read into that what you will.

http://harleyforum.org.uk/showthread...ight=Road+King

Many factors affect value and without any further details and or photographs anything would be pure speculation.

Good Luck With The Sale anyway!
    Last edited by K9F; 10-20-2017 at 05:03 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Hi, it's a 1200 with disc brakes 34k imported in 89. General condition (it's been sat in a garage since 2009, what do you think it looks like? Better than you if you would have been sat in a garage for eight years) so yea it will need tyres �� Thanks for your interest. ����

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    ...... General condition (it's been sat in a garage since 2009, what do you think it looks like? Better than you if you would have been sat in a garage for eight years) so yea it will need tyres......
    The Triumph below was sold August 2015, it needed new tyres carburettor strip and rebuild and a new fuel tap diaphragm to get it back on the road. It was a 1995 model. It was mine and was sold to buy my first Harley-Davidson. It had sat in the garage from 2005 to 2015 venturing out only twice in that time, once to move house and once for an MOT and covering a mere 6 miles in all that time. Sitting in a garage does not reflect condition if it's been nurtured and/or stored correctly.

Get some pictures posted!

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    There's no photos at the moment as I'm in the middle of getting it running and clean are you interested or not?

My Ride
    How the heck do you post pictures on here?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    ........are you interested or not?
    No I have a cracking Harley-Davidson already thank you and it's stablemate will be most likely a Norton 961 hopefully/maybe/possibly? Your post considering you want to sell it was not a positive one and the details scant from which you wanted advice and interest? Many forums have a minimum post count and period of membership before anyone can sell, this one hasn't as you have discovered. You have obviously simply registered to do nothing more than sell something and then move on! Presentation is the key any yes my interest extends to help you sell it if possible! You may get a sale IF you can provide a concise upbeat advert containing positive aspects and specific details of the item you are trying to knock on together with some decent photographs.

A crap advert commands very little interest and even crappier offers!

Welcome to the forum by the way. Further help with regards to photographs is forthcoming below the picture.

How the heck do you post pictures on here?
    "Could someone assist me in posting pictures please?"

Yes of course.....Below is a cut and paste solution I posted ages ago to help someone else. The forum has been upgraded since and there are a few minor changes to that process. Nevertheless the route to posting pictures is the same but some of the tabs are different. It is self-explanatory if you follow it and look at each screen.

"This is my method, apologies for the step by step guide but it took me a while to fathom it out before I was finally rewarded with success...

Go to 'Forum' tab between 'What's New' and 'Garage'

Then go to 'Community' between 'Calendar' and 'Forum Actions'

There is revealed a scroll down click on 'Albums' you should then be able to 'create an album folder'

To then upload files to it.....

Click on your created album folder and a sub-menu appears with an 'upload photo' prompt heading.

Click on 'upload photo' and a new pane opens. There is the statement at number 1. "Click Add Files to upload new files or select from existing files below" and to the right of this an 'add files' icon with a green plus sign

Yet another pane opens and at the bottom middle is a 'select files' tab you can then select files from your computer

The pictures you select are placed in the previous pane and you then select the centre 'upload files' tab. The photos are uploaded and there is a blue status bar that indicates where you are in the process of uploading the photos selected

Once completed uploading close that pane

Your photos are now sat in a 'Pending Photos' pane on your album page

Just below this is a 'Save Changes' tab, click on this and your photos are transferred to your album.

There may well be a quick drag and drop method but this is the way I have always done it and it soon becomes a very quick process and it works for me!"

You are very welcome!
    Last edited by K9F; 10-20-2017 at 11:10 PM.

My Ride
    I wanted to make the right type of people aware of what will soon be coming for sale before i do the easy thing and just bung it on ebay. I appreciate that these types of bikes are people’s life and passion, and i wanted a serious Harley guy to have it. Apart from giving out condescending help, i feel like you just wanted to make it harder and more drawn out than it need be. Henceforth look out for it on ebay.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    ^^As stated good luck with the sale! Watch out for scammers there are loads about! Pictures are easier to load on E-Bay too.

........... I'm going to clean the dust off and thats it. Any ideas on the value? Is anyone interested?
    With regards to your 'condescending' comment if you want help or advice in the future there is a better way of asking for it! As you yourself justifiably mentioned Harley-Davidsons are indeed some people's life and passion that does not make them Neanderthals or indeed Visionaries! Time was spent and help was still given regardless, and yes you are welcome!

Last edited by K9F; 10-21-2017 at 10:24 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Iain Allen (10-22-2017), Uncle Ed (11-11-2017)

My Ride
    Matchless
    I have acquired a 1978 police special recently. It's been parked up since 2009. It will have a new battery and mot when up for sale. I'm going to clean the dust off and thats it. Any ideas on the value? Is anyone interested?
    Hi Gavin,

I like the sound of this, I'm currently looking for an FLH as my first Harley!
    I have sent you a private message with my details etc, would love to have a chat about it/see some pics or even come and view it?
    Give me a shout!

Thanks,
    Sam