My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FLSTF Fatboy 2001

2001 Softail FLSTF - Advice please!

Evening all,

Thanks for taking a look!

Iím keen to make some small modifications to my 2001 FLSTF. However, Iím struggling to identify the compatibility of after market products.

My primaries are;
    - LED Lights (front and back)
    - Digital Fuel Gauge
    - Replacement (maybe digital too) Speedometer

Iím also interested in an Air Filter improvement (cosmetics mainly but the power would be a bonus).

Any advice on products/manufacturers and/or websites would be much appreciated folks.

HAve a great evening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Welcome AshHD from the South Coast,

I've got a little bit of information to share and keep you busy for a while. I love spending other people's money!

I have had dealings with A R Harley and Sons. They are in the UK and have a comprehensive stock of aftermarket parts.

https://www.harleycustom.co.uk/

OEM upgrades can be bought Tax Free from Jersey Harley-Davidson.

http://www.jerseyh-d.com/

Custom Chrome Europe are also a great provider of after-market parts. There is a great on-line catalogue together with a few dealers of their wares in the UK.

https://shop.customchrome.de/en/By-M...2jcop2ff5l0u10

Indicators - Look at Kellermann. Have fitted a couple of sets of these, very good quality and IMHO possibly the best out there?

https://www.kellermann-online.com/en...ullet-1000-df/

Headlight - Whatever you buy make sure it's approved. Prices and quality vary greatly and Chinese rip offs are popular but not for me.

Digital Fuel Gauge - I fitted a Roland Sands Design incorporated into the cap. Not bad!

You will not get any noticeable gains from any performance air filter on it's own whatsoever. To get the best out of your machine consider some of the goodies provided by Dynojet coupled together with some dyno time. Then you'll notice the difference.

http://dynojet.co.uk/mybike/
    Last edited by K9F; 10-19-2017 at 09:35 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

AshHD (10-20-2017)

My Ride
    Wow nice one!

Thanks pal, I’ll be spending some serious time looking theough these.

Given the age of the bike, am I going to encounter many issues with compatibilty? It seems everywhere I look, there’s no mention of compatibility with a 2001 FLSTF??

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop...-fat-boy-flstf

Try that for a starter...copy the part numbers down for any genuine part numbers you may want, then paste them onto the jersey HD website for a tax free price

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

AshHD (10-20-2017)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by AshHD View Post
    .......Given the age of the bike, am I going to encounter many issues with compatibilty? It seems everywhere I look, there’s no mention of compatibility with a 2001 FLSTF??
    If you shop wisely and look closely at what you are trying to achieve and what it is you want to remove in the way of 'form and function' many items can be 'engineered to fit' with a little ingenuity or are a straight one for one swap out. The Dynojet link is specific to your bike, all you have to do is select make, model and year to see exactly what it may be that suits? Engine enhancement wise a 2001 Softail is just that, you need not bother with the FLSTF bit as the engines were modulated.
    Last edited by K9F; 10-20-2017 at 12:40 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

AshHD (10-20-2017)

My Ride
    That’s the best possible advice I could have received on this topic! Thanks again guys!

I visited a dealership recently and the parts guy just spent the entire time finding parts that were not comparible and then after an hour, he gave up and told me to go online. I should have just come straight to you gents.

It’s a good point, I’m not terribly experienced in customisation projects, however I’m pretty keen to learn so why not now!

I’ll be sure to report back with any mods/upgrades.

Thanks again.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    There appears to be two threads now on the same topic, I'll post on this one:

With an older bike such as yours when fitting LED lights a load equaliser/ballast resistor will need to be considered as you may find after fitting the LEDs due to the lower current draw your warning light on your OEM speedo/warning lights to say one of your lights is out will be permanently lit? This is trial and error and easily sorted. Fit the LEDs first and see where you lie. Be prepared to refit the incandescent bulbs whilst awaiting an extra part you may need?

Wheel refurbishment dependent on finish can take time unless you are prepared and willing to take the wheels to a professional wheel refurbishment place. The advantage of the latter is that turnaround time is quicker and undoubtedly he will have the experience and materials to get a hardy top quality finish you desire. Expect to pay ballpark £80-£100 per wheel for a complete strip/dip and refinish service.
    Last edited by K9F; 10-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

AshHD (10-22-2017)

My Ride
    Thanks again K9F! The info on the wheels is perfect.

I thought might be the case with lighting.... bit of trial error should do the trick I reckon.

My Ride

Update!

Itís been a little while but your help was ideal guys. Iíve made some basic changes to get the girl up to where I originally wanted her...... but now I want more! Haha.

The question is, do I spend another £1500-£2000 on this bike (26000 miles now that Iíbe burned through 6000 in the last few months!) or do I part-ex for something newer before the re-sell value of this one drops too far?

Pics attached.

Changes;
    - New solid cast wheels, front and back (this worked out about £250 per wheel imported from the US)
    - K&N Air Filter (probably not needed but I f*cking love the cone!)
    - New Headlight Nacelle (The last one had lots of pitting)
    - removed passing lights
    - New Le Pera Up Front seat (I have little legs so this helps me reach the highway bars comfortably)
    - New Handlebar control housings
    - New Exhaust mufflers (like for like but these seem louder and the originals were damaged)
    - LED Fuel gauge (after being told that this definitely wouldnít work, it actually worked first time without any re-wiring... I only had to change the connector to a UK one because the original had broken)

Next steps;
    - Definitely looking at the V&H Short Shots. My Mrs keep melting her boots when on the back!
    - Forward peg controls. Iím so much more comfortable with my feet forward, has anyone got any experience of doing this to a Fatboy or similar?
    - Ape Hangers. Only looking at 11Ē but has anyone done this and how have they found the motorway riding? Was it harder with the wind resistance?
    - Front headlight fairing. This is a maybe but it may help with the wind at 80-90 mph. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images