Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    XL1200C
    Well just got back from an awesome three hour ride and still managed to get up and walk normally. Could’ve ridden this beauty all day but needed to get back. First Harley and it’s an absolute joy to ride, the sound she makes is totally addictive and she’s got plenty of power. Took a bit of getting used to the gear change and rear brake, and I looked like a complete tw@t riding round wearing a Shark full face sports helmet (had a traffic cop eying me up), but I didn’t care.

Got a orange and black 105th anniversary XL1200 C Sportster with Vance & Hines exhausts (oh my, very nice), Mustang seat, quick release lockable touring screen that I’ve removed, and genuine leather Harley saddlebags that I couldn’t remove because none of my Allen keys fit, guessing this is the metric imperial thing?

A big thank you to all who’ve answered my questions and contributed, I’ll try to give something back to the forum if I can, sharing views and ideas is what makes us tick.

Let’s rock
    Last edited by Face; 05-23-2018 at 08:04 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Face For This Useful Post:

reindeer (05-24-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Been reading this thread from the beginning . Glad you got your bike. Sportsters are great bikes. Re: books etc, American V magazine is a great source of interesting facts, as are the following books:
    Harley Davidson Archive's Collection
    Sportsters, 60yrs
    The Harley Davidson, A complete history
    Harley Davidson, An illustrated guide
    FTW )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Face (05-25-2018)

My Ride
    XL1200C
    The bike is unbelievable, not got round to reading American Iron Magazine Presents 1001 Harley Davidson Facts, but will be the next book I read. This motorcycle is....effing awesome. The sound it makes, its presence, the build quality, its prestige, the history, and above all it suits me perfectly. This really is a FTW bike. Only ridden it for three hours and already decided to sell my Suzuki. I respect the Suzuki, it’s a brilliant little bike, but ain’t got nothing on a Harley.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Face For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (05-20-2018), reindeer (05-24-2018), Whistler (05-20-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Well just got back from an awesome three hour ride and still managed to get up and walk normally. Could’ve ridden this beauty all day but needed to get back. First Harley and it’s an absolute joy to ride, the sound she makes is totally addictive and she’s got plenty of power. Took a bit of getting used to the gear change and rear brake, and I looked like a complete tw@t riding round wearing a Shark full face sports helmet (had a traffic cop eying me up), but I didn’t care.

Got a orange and black 105th anniversary XL1200 C Sportster with Vance & Hines exhausts (oh my, very nice), Mustang seat, quick release lockable touring screen that I’ve removed, and genuine leather Harley saddlebags that I couldn’t remove because none of my Allen keys fit, guessing this is the metric imperial thing?

Attachment 8948

A big thank you to all who’ve answered my questions and contributed, I’ll try to give something back to the forum if I can, sharing views and ideas is what makes us tick.

Let’s rock

Hi Face,

Glad you're enjoying your new ride, Harley's aren't like ordinary motorcycles, are they?

You'll have to invest in a set of imperial tools now.

Best Wishes,

Dave.

My Ride
    XL1200C
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Glad you're enjoying your new ride, Harley's aren't like ordinary motorcycles, are they?

Dave.
    It’s been one heck of an experience, some people love it, some are jealous, some curious, some absolutely hate them. Could be wrong but that’s my impression anyway. And it’s only been 24 hours! What a bike. Still getting used to the jiffy stand, I have to kind of grab it with my toe and swing it out in a kind of curve. Awesome.
    Last edited by Face; 05-20-2018 at 09:51 PM.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    There are lots of Harley haters out there, I know some of them myself.

They seem to think that today's H-D models are as bad as they were in the 1960's and 1970's when H-D was under AMF ownership. The AMF years were dire, poor quality control, wooden brakes, poor handling etc, etc, etc. The haters don't want to admit that H-D aren't stuck in a bygone era, today's Harley's use up to date technology and have brakes that actually work in both dry and wet conditions.

Harley's certainly get noticed and people will want to talk to you about your Harley, they're not a machine for the shy and retiring type.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 05-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

reindeer (05-21-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Couldn't agree more. It boils my piss, the attitude of ignorant riders, who come across as down right ride with their uninformed and outraged view points.
    FTW )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (05-21-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iRON 883
    My previous ride, Yamaha Virago 750 made more HP (65 HP) a higher top speed and far better ride quality than my Iron 883, don't get me wrong, the Iron is mean, black and uber cool and of course it's a Harley not a clone, but for me to say that the engine performance a near 900cc Harley motor produces is poor is neither uniformed nor outrageous. Claiming 'ah but it's all about torque' IS outrageous, I'm not wanting to tow a caravan after all..
    Last edited by Johnnythefox; 05-21-2018 at 09:31 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

My Ride
    XL1200C
    I was aware of Harley haters before I bought the bike. Even my examiner told me and the other guy “no Harley’s” when we both passed our test. Suffice to say, the other guy went straight to a bike shop and bought a Harley, and I’m now the owner of one too.

Harley hatred is a strange phenomenon. It’s probably to do with the herd mentality, people being like sheep and scared of leaving the flock, always conscious of what others think about them. Me, I ain’t no sheep.

Women seem to love Harley’s, it’s mainly men who hate them. I actually think it’s a very manly bike. It feels like a ‘real’ bike; all metal; engine that sounds ‘alive’; unique sound that’s not heard on any other living or mechanical thing on the planet; is a genuine thoroughbred that’s been going for decades; has a presence that takes special qualities in a man to be able to deal with; is quite rebellious in leaving the herd and forging a path for yourself.

Let them wallow in their ignorance, I’m very happy with the Sportster.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Face For This Useful Post:

My Ride
    Dyna Superglide
    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Cheers reindeer, your post seems to confirm my hunch that these bike have actually got a soul. My garage should be ready to give a Harley a home next year. Done the painting, fitted solar lights, secured the door and sealed the gaps. I just need to fit rubber floor mats and I'll have my own piece of paradise on earth. Do you wipe her down with a microfiber cloth? How do you clean before she goes in the garage. Is it a sponge job, dry then in the garage?

The Sportster is the sensible choice for me. I could probably wait and save up for a Fat Bob, but I'm getting bored with the Gladius and can't wait that long. The 883 is starting to tempt me, but I'm concerned that it may lack the power to suit my needs.
    I soak it in ACF50, even the inside of the tubes. I do not baby it, tho. I just take caring for it seriously. I have microfibres for finish work, but mostly use a rag. It's a big metal machine, and it rains in Ireland all the time. If I were in Arizona, I would think bike care would be far more relaxed. The nice thing about ACF on everything is nothing really sticks to the bike, making after ride cleaning easy even if I wait a couple of rides to do so. Chrome is also far easier to clean and maintain than folks think it is.

To address JohnnyTheFox's post - it sort of IS about the torque....assuming you have more than 883cc's. Small twins will always be a bit under powered unless they rev and have a lot of valves and are water cooled. But, if that's the sort of bike that strikes your fancy, you wouldn't have a Harley. A Harley is about cruising, chillin, enjoying a machine, and having something with soul. I've owned a lot of bikes in my life, some of them truly fast machines, but I only miss the Harleys.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to reindeer For This Useful Post:

Face (05-21-2018)