Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    XL1200C

Greetings from Manchester

Hello everyone, it's 7 months since I passed my test and I'm loving it. Started biking by doing my CBT and even enjoyed riding a moped with inadequate clothing on a cold February morning. I just wanted to keep going but also wanted to stop because it was blummin' freezing, a very good lesson to learn early on! Then I got a 125 with L plates and tolerated all the car drivers who wanted to try and frighten me, and put up with people who would snigger at me riding a 125 with L plates.

When I passed my test in March, and after driving myself half crazy looking at bikes without buying one, I happened upon a Suzuki Gladius on a 10 plate with 20,000 miles for two grand, in black. Cat D, no service history, one key. Since then I've got the spanners out, gave her a full service, put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank, fitted heated grips, cleaned the chain, wire brushed all the rust away, polished the metal and even cleaned the underside of the chain guard (after spending a good hour trying to get the rounded bolt off). The bike also cut out under heavy braking, and after investigating I found that the tip over sensor had come loose, so the forward forces under braking would make it think the bike was tipping over and cut out. This is probably why the last owner traded it in.

All in all I'm well chuffed with the Gladius and think it's a really good bike, easy to handle and very quick 0-60mph. Now the time has come to get a proper bike, a Harley. These things stir up something inside that's indescribable. I think I'm ready for a 1200 Sportster XL.

So here I am, I don't own a Harley yet but am planning on doing so. Just a couple of questions please:

1/ Are there any similarities - in terms of riding - between the Gladius V-Twin and a 1200 Sportster V-Twin - engine braking, speed, acceleration and so on?

2/ Do you use ACF-50 on a Harley and do you clean the bike straight after it's been exposed to the rain?

3/ Finally, I've bought a Dainese Veloster jacket and Dainese Alien leather bottoms, which I paid a fortune for, would I look like a tit wearing these on a Harley?

Many thanks for reading

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Face For This Useful Post:

K9F (10-18-2017)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Welcome to the forum. A nice informative post, thanks for sharing.

In answer to your questions:

1. You are the only owner of a Gladius I have ever come across in 40 years of motorcycling. Opinions vary greatly and this forum is quite small (stick with it) as a result it is unlikely that any other current members have owned or ridden a Gladius, but I may be proven wrong. If you have a decent dealer near you I would suggest a prolonged test ride (not just a hurl around the block) on whatever Harley-Davidson you feel the urge to. You can then form your own unbiased opinion and reasoning for committing to buy. Harley-Davidsons are subject to personal modifications and if you are looking at two same models second-hand riding characteristics can be totally different depending on modifications carried out, Stage I, II or III, aftermarket shocks, bars, foot peg positions etc. etc.

2. I ride purely for pleasure and try to avoid the rain if possible. I only use ACF50 Winter time as you may know it is the best stuff out there and is WD40 on steroids. Summer time I do NOT use ACF50 as the dust adheres to it. Summer time I use WD40 and Mr Sheen furniture polish. I do not always immediately clean after rain but will wipe down within a couple of days. I have a bike bubble that allows you to put the bike away wet, open the vents and it dries within 20 minutes inside the bubble.

3. Absolutely, especially if it has colour in it! Dainese is synonymous with rice maker crotch rockets. I sold all my Dainese gear apart from the back protector when I bought my first Harley two years ago. Cut the arse out of the trousers and you may just get away with them?

Last edited by K9F; 10-18-2017 at 11:04 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    XL1200C
    Thanks for the great advice, K9F. Me being from Manchester I'm naturally aware of the rain. I think I'll put the Dainese leathers up for sale and leave my arse cheeks for the ladies. The best way to learn is through trial and error, but usually hits you in the pocket, as is the case here.

I don't know whether to take your comment of me being the first Gladius owner you've met in 40 years of motorcycling as a compliment or an insult. I know it's neither, but in defence of the Gladius, I present my case, being a fan of Lemmy Kilmister, because he didn't give a damn what anyone thinks. My purchase of the Gladius was purely a pragmatic decision: It came within my 2 grand threshold for my first big bike; cheap insurance to build up my no claims bonus; ride it to gain the skills of riding a motorcycle in all weathers; to practice maintaining a bike; because I loved the V-Twin engine; to know every bump, adverse camber and hidden exits of my favourite roads.

But yes, mopeds, L plates and first big bike out of the way, I'm now in the enviable position of purchasing a Harley. It's going to be early next year when I buy one, so will check out this forum for info.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Evening Face,

My comment about the Gladius was not meant to offend it was the truth! Apologies for the lack of responses to your post, this forum is very small and one of the 'Usual Suspects' Whistler is Florida bound, he normally has plenty to add. Many people join and then drift off or just visit on occasion. Someone is always close at hand to offer advice or share experience. Stick with it, things normally drop down significantly Winter time and rise from 'Intensive Care' to 'Recovery Ward' in the Spring.

Exciting times ahead for you. Try to steer clear of PCP if you can when buying, it locks you into the brand and unless you make the unattractive balloon payment at the end you leave with nothing or get to continue the deal but the bike is never yours.

Not sure of your age but if you are a youngster keep the Dainese, you may move on or find yourself in the enviable position of adding a sport bike later to the stable to keep the Harley company. Dainese never go out of fashion.

Good luck on your foray into the Harley-Davidson marque and let us know how you get on!

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    XL1200C
    Thank you, I would like to have two bikes, a cruiser and a sports tourer, so will probably keep the Dainese leathers, just depends what happens to my belly when I near my forties. There's also the small matter of how much dough I've got. I'm currently working six days a week so I can buy a Harley for cash. I love reading and writing, especially about motorbikes, so will be back. It's better than being brainwashed by the telly. Do you know any good books or magazines you could recommend about Harley Davidsons? I'd be especially interested in the history of the motorcycle.
    Last edited by Face; 10-19-2017 at 11:04 PM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Whistler is the man you need to contact he has a book. I'll dig about and see what it was.

***EDIT** Ear tiz:

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Just ordered a new HD book: American Iron magazine presents 1001 facts. The author is the magazine editor Tyler Greenblatt. From reviews it looks interesting, and based on the magazine it should be informative. Amazon showing it as being available from the 20th March. I get mine of eBay as it was available from now.
    Last edited by K9F; 10-19-2017 at 11:04 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Hi Dod,

I was going to post the same preview link. Shshsh shall we wait for a few days before telling Face the last 49 pages are missing as it's a preview or tell him straight away before he gets totally immersed?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Hi Dod,

I was going to post the same preview link. Shshsh shall we wait for a few days before telling Face the last 49 pages are missing as it's a preview or tell him straight away before he gets totally immersed?

Shhhhh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Mum's the word. However I think we may be