My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

2017 or 2018 Breakout?

So this is the dilemma I have...
    I've been eyeing up a breakout for the last 3 years and I now find I'm in the fortunate position to be able to afford one. So I'd been negotiating a MY2017 vivid black with Stage 1 V&H Hi-Output 2-into-1 Short and VO2 Rogue and Side mount plate. I had got it to a price i was fairly comfortable with on PCP with affordable up front and monthlies.

I knew the 2018 was on the horizon and that it was going to include the Milwaukee which I was fine with. What i didn't expect was such a huge change to the frame etc and that it was going to be not much more than the 2017 in terms of cost (£300ish). SO what Harley have done is effectively kill the pre-owned market for Breakouts as most respectable garages are going to be saying take the 2018. I'm now concerned about residuals although I will be protected with PCP and the garage who i was literally about to sign with have already said they will review the announcements and come back to me( already hinting that they will sharpen their pencil on the deal)

2 people i have spoken to have already said i'd be crazy to even consider the 2017 still, but you know what I kind of prefer it from an aesthetics appeal but in the back of my mind I'm concerned about residual value and the snide comments about having purchased the 2017 on a 67 plate when the 2018 was there for the taking. Lots of thinking to do unless you guys think otherwise?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Your money, your choice. The M8 has some stonking torque figures and a few glitches with oil sumping issues if you check out the highly active American Forum (together with a few other issues). The twin cams were also fraught with issues with the cam tensioners prior to 2006 but have been sorted since. I have a 2017 Breakout and it is all I need and desire in a motorcycle. Personally the Breakout was (and perhaps still is to some but not me) the most badassed looking one out of the range. Whatever Breakout you buy they are shit pigs to ride and it takes a while to get to grips with the handling and cornering. I have ridden bikes for forty years and the Breakout took me longer than any other bike before feeling 100% confident at 7 months, mind you at nearly 800lbs in weight and 8'3" long it is a third heavier and longer than anything else I have owned.

You made your decision and now you're having second thoughts. Do some research and reaffirm your decision one way or the other. My dealership have been doing brisk trade on the last of the twin cam engine bikes with people like yourself who have been 'pondering' and now needed to decide before they're all gone. They sold a second hand CVO Breakout the new owner with whom I spoke with and a brand new one they had specially ordered which was USA specification as there were no more UK specification ones to be had on Saturday alone. The latter one had just returned from it's MSVA check. If you're worried about the numbers on the plate get a personal one which is dateless. PCP the bike is never yours anyway unless you make the final balloon payment, dealers love them as they are prmarily designed to keep you locked in to a particular brand, most people get persuaded to continue the deal and trade in, your case the twin cams and twin shocks will be history anyway by a couple of years at least, but as you state the agreed end of term valuation will protect you. What mileage limitation do you have in your deal as it can work out costly if you exceed it?

Whistler another forum member will be along shortly to undoubtedly suggest to bin the PCP/Breakout idea and just buy an Iron (or two) instead!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by K9F; 08-27-2017 at 11:50 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Bagger - Street Glide Rushmore
    Personally I wouldn’t have an M8 and in the Breakout its even uglier I would pick up a nice 2013 / early one and make it your own, most people have hardly ridden them anyway and whilst they are limited in custom ability they can be made to look nice or you may prefer to be a stock. Of my last 15 Harleys the Breakout has been the most exciting and boring all in one package......quite an achievement.

Just for the record I think the entire 2018 range is dog toffee but then I never liked Ducatis anyway
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 08-28-2017 at 05:08 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 100thmonkey For This Useful Post:

K9F (08-28-2017)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    No PCP deal on a 2013 but I agree with your sentiments! The new FatBob still interests me (not to buy) and I look forward to seeing one in the flesh. In the meantime I could go to Ducati Winchester and see if they have a Diavel in stock to appease and placate my curiosity perhaps?

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Your money, your choice. The M8 has some stonking torque figures and a few glitches with oil sumping issues if you check out the highly active American Forum (together with a few other issues). The twin cams were also fraught with issues with the cam tensioners prior to 2006 but have been sorted since. I have a 2017 Breakout and it is all I need and desire in a motorcycle. Personally the Breakout was (and perhaps still is to some but not me) the most badassed looking one out of the range. Whatever Breakout you buy they are shit pigs to ride and it takes a while to get to grips with the handling and cornering. I have ridden bikes for forty years and the Breakout took me longer than any other bike before feeling 100% confident at 7 months, mind you at nearly 800lbs in weight and 8'3" long it is a third heavier and longer than anything else I have owned.

You made your decision and now you're having second thoughts. Do some research and reaffirm your decision one way or the other. My dealership have been doing brisk trade on the last of the twin cam engine bikes with people like yourself who have been 'pondering' and now needed to decide before they're all gone. They sold a second hand CVO Breakout the new owner with whom I spoke with and a brand new one they had specially ordered which was USA specification as there were no more UK specification ones to be had on Saturday alone. The latter one had just returned from it's MSVA check. If you're worried about the numbers on the plate get a personal one which is dateless. PCP the bike is never yours anyway unless you make the final balloon payment, dealers love them as they are prmarily designed to keep you locked in to a particular brand, most people get persuaded to continue the deal and trade in, your case the twin cams and twin shocks will be history anyway by a couple of years at least, but as you state the agreed end of term valuation will protect you. What mileage limitation do you have in your deal as it can work out costly if you exceed it?

Whistler another forum member will be along shortly to undoubtedly suggest to bin the PCP/Breakout idea and just buy an Iron (or two) instead!
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'd bin the breakout idea and get an Iron or 2.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    No PCP deal on a 2013

I dont understand them just pay cash!

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I agree. Best way to go.
    FTW )

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I agree too, nevertheless there are those that aren't as fortunate as others and don't have the cash. As mentioned dealers will fall over themselves to offer it and you do get a very favourable interest rate due to the foreboding balloon payment at the end to make it yours, it is this balloon payment that locks people into the brand as rather than walk away with nothing they feel obliged to keep the deal going to get another bike. I also don't like the idea that you are very limited as to what you can do with them and the limited mileage caveat. I don't do anywhere near the mileage that you do 100th nevertheless I do clock more than most over here I think? Garage Queen it most certainly is not and I can't believe some of the older bikes with unbelievably low mileage that come on to the market, WTF have they been doing with them apart from perhaps sitting in the garage looking at it on occasion?

My Ride
    If you can’t afford it don’t buy it was always told. I don’t understand the desire to have the new when you can pick up a really cool sportster for £4K and for £2k on top make it super custom and individual and you’d turn more heads and have more fun than on a stock cock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 100thmonkey For This Useful Post:

Whistler (08-29-2017)