Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Dyna Street Bob 2006

SOS - Street Bob won't start!

Sorry for the long post but here goes...

Last week, like the twat I am parking my bike after a ride I lost concentration and dropped by precious Street Bob on the floor right hand side down. I picked the bike up and there was only a couple of scratches on the underside of the exhaust and a scuff on the brake lever. I started the bike to make sure everything was fine and it did. I parked it up for the night and thought I'd got away with just a couple of scratches and a bit of dented pride.

I went to ride the ride the bike a couple of days later - it started fine but the brake lights wer stuck on. When it dropped itmust have damaged the lever do it wasn't contacting with the switch hence it was staying on. Changed the brake and clutch lever (they were different colours to the original so did both), brake light is fixed happy days!

But then the bike won't start. Put it in Run, you can hear the fuel pump kick in, all lights on and OK, but when you press start there is nothing. Not a sound. I had been messing around with the brake lever for a while beforehand with the ignition on to see if what I was doing was working, so I thought maybe the battery didn't have enough charge to start the bike. Charged it overnight. Still nothing. Took the battery to Halfords for a drop test - Battery fine!

Changing the brake lever I had messed around a bit where the start switch is but nothing to damage the electrics or the switch surely? I'm expecting to have to take it to Harley World who will charge me a fortune but that's my stupid fault! Just thought I'd come on here before I take it there to see if I'm missing anything?

Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated!

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz990 View Post
    .....Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated!
    As good as it gets on a Sunday, with so few members on the forum.....I have posted the below before!

........Changing the brake lever I had messed around a bit where the start switch is but nothing to damage the electrics or the switch surely?
    It is a strong possibility. Nevertheless a multimeter or someone that has one and can wield it to good effect will be needed to check the switch out, or you can bypass as detailed below as well.

1. Start relay faulty ... Can you hear it click when ignition is turned ON ?? Pull it out and in a few times, could be some corrosion on the pins.
    2. Starter Motor earth , (later models is the two starter motor mounting bolts), if you have tools, check and tighten ...
    3. Trigger wire to starter solenoid, (small green wire), that plugs in connector on starter motor .. Disconnect and connect a few times . May be some corrosion or loose connection..

If you have no luck with above ,you can bypass the start switch and the start relay as a means of diagnosis.
    You will need 3 feet of any electrical wire ...

1. Get access to battery terminals
    2. Pull solenoid trigger switch wire from connector to Starter motor.
    3. Push one end of wire INTO connector, (making good contact), on Starter motor.
    4. Bike in neutral ,, ignition switch ON,, Run switch ON ..(fuel pump primes).
    5. With other end of wire ,, make contact with POSITIVE terminal .. Starter motor should spin,, bike should crank and start ...
    Last edited by K9F; 08-20-2017 at 02:26 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Sorry for the long post but here goes...

Last week, like the twat I am parking my bike after a ride I lost concentration and dropped by precious Street Bob on the floor right hand side down. I picked the bike up and there was only a couple of scratches on the underside of the exhaust and a scuff on the brake lever. I started the bike to make sure everything was fine and it did. I parked it up for the night and thought I'd got away with just a couple of scratches and a bit of dented pride.

I went to ride the ride the bike a couple of days later - it started fine but the brake lights wer stuck on. When it dropped itmust have damaged the lever do it wasn't contacting with the switch hence it was staying on. Changed the brake and clutch lever (they were different colours to the original so did both), brake light is fixed happy days!

But then the bike won't start. Put it in Run, you can hear the fuel pump kick in, all lights on and OK, but when you press start there is nothing. Not a sound. I had been messing around with the brake lever for a while beforehand with the ignition on to see if what I was doing was working, so I thought maybe the battery didn't have enough charge to start the bike. Charged it overnight. Still nothing. Took the battery to Halfords for a drop test - Battery fine!

Changing the brake lever I had messed around a bit where the start switch is but nothing to damage the electrics or the switch surely? I'm expecting to have to take it to Harley World who will charge me a fortune but that's my stupid fault! Just thought I'd come on here before I take it there to see if I'm missing anything?

Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Not to sound too silly here but you haven't got the kill switch on at the right hand side and the bike is in neutral??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    Not to sound too silly here but you haven't got the kill switch on......
    Kill switch/run switch? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they one and the same thing? Also the fuel pump wouldn't prime!

........Put it in Run, you can hear the fuel pump kick in.......
    Last edited by K9F; 08-20-2017 at 03:08 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Kill switch/run switch? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they one and the same thing? Also the fuel pump wouldn't prime!
    You are indeed correct..my error..apologies.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Gear lever switch and sidestand switch also have parts to play in the overall scheme of getting the bike to crank. But as you dropped the bike on the right not left doubtful in this scenario perhaps?

My Ride
    Hello all.

Thanks for the quick response! It's definitely in neutral and you have to switch to run for the fuel pump to prime!

Yes it's nothing to do with gear lever switch or sidestand as I've had the bike running between dropping it and fitting the new levers.

I've tried 1 - 3 with no luck I'm afraid, at least I can rule it out when I take to the garage. Unfortunately I'm not clued up enough to do the next set of points 1 - 5 so I'm going to bite the bullet and ring a garage tomorrow morning, not the Harley one though!

I will let you know the outcome!

Thanks again!

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Good luck!

My Ride
    Hello.

I've decided to man up and try what you suggested in 1 - 5 as I can't get my bike looked at until next Tuesday!

So if I pull the push connector out that goes in to the starter motor with the green wire in it, push some wire directly into the starter motor and connect the other side to the positive side of the battery, the bike should start?

My Ride
    Hello, me again!

I did what you said, I wired straight from the starter motor to the battery and my baby kicked up first time like a good girl!

My understanding of this if I'm correct, is that this means my problem is either the start switch itself, or the wire that goes from the start switch to the starter motor?

You can hear the start relay click when you put it in to run so I ruled that out yesterday.

Again thanks for your help!