Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Ford Mustang

Hello from Waterlooville!

Hi everyone

My name is James and I'm looking to get my 1st Harley (1st bike too), don't currently have a license but will be doing that over the coming months. I have been into cars all my life but have slowly fallen out of love with driving, so I'm hoping riding will help keep my petrol needs alive.
    I currently own a 2016 Mustang GT which is up for sale and the funds will eventually go towards a 48.

It seems I'm local ish to 2 dealers. 1 in Southampton and one in the Guildford area. Anyone have expericance with eithe of these. I'm used to dealint with Ford which has some of the worse customer service I have ever dealt with so I'm praying HD main dealers will be better...

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Welcome fae Fife. There's a few on here that are local to the dealers you mention, they can keep you right. Which HD model are you interested in.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Ford Mustang
    I will hopefully buy a new 48 if all goes well with selling the mustang.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimboy2 View Post
    Hope it all goes well for you..

Welcome to the forum from kinross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimboy2 View Post
    48's a nice bike, just get familiar with all the petrol stations on your journeys
    FTW )

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    ..........And if your going to ever take pillion find a partner who is only 4' tall. Welcome to the forum.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Bagger - Street Glide Rushmore
    Buying new is great but you will lose a few quid over private. Regardless of where you start your HD journey there's a saying 'Everyone ends up on a Road King' so look forward to a journey through the models as the years go by.
    I'm a big fan of 48's and always enjoy seeing one but the refuelling can be tiresome although that said most all riders of them spend more time outside cafes than actually riding so it's not an issue.
    Pop a set of short shots on plus a comedy conical air filter and a single spring seat and you'll have a unique bike that you won't see anyone else riding!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I agree, 48s perhaps lend themselves to be personalised more than any other Harley-Davidson. A mate of mine has spent over £5k on the wheel and carburettor roll-back modifications on the 48 below. He has had the bike from new and at three years old he has covered 40k miles. I enjoyed my 48 too and tried to relieve the irksome high frequency of refuelling by refuelling at home up to the gunnels. Many people consider swapping the tank out on a 48 for a larger one but in my eye a 48 is not a 48 without the tank as that is what it is all about. Buy an Iron or a normal 1200 sportster if you want better range and a bigger tank.

With regards to dealership I use Southampton Harley-Davidson and in 40 years of motorcycling have found them to be one of the best I have dealt with. They have had a bucket load of cash from me in the last two years since my foray into Harley-Davidson ownership. Consider an ex-demonstrator as the dealership will take the hit for the initial spiralling depreciation. I bought an ex demonstrator (it was the salesman's shop bike) a 48 and kept it for 12 months before trading in for the red CVO Breakout above. I got a good deal on the purchase price together with a generous discount on any extras/riding gear I wanted to buy. Subsequently the trade up price a mere 12 months later was good and it didn't cost me much for the 12 months 48 ownership. They also do a free delivery/collection service by van of your motorcycle should you need it service time. When you find yourself there ask to speak to Stuart or Cori and I am sure they will see you o.k. Good luck.

Vance and Hines short shots or radius pipes as a modification and a heavy breather air filter are common upgrades and the springer seat becoming more so from what I have experienced and seen.

If your pockets are deep enough and want something truly unique built from the ground up look at the offerings from Attitude Cycles Southampton. Si Harris' capability as a custom bike builder is renowned. Another aqcaintance of mine bought the bike below from them after insisting on a few changes.

Finally a shameless plug. The bobber below a 1960s Triumph is up for grabs by the mate who has the custom Sportster he bought from Attitude if you want a unique bike at a very reasonable price, but something of that age will require spanner time?

Last edited by K9F; 08-10-2017 at 11:33 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Bagger - Street Glide Rushmore
    Is that your mates in Black with Bar Hopper sticker on it?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    It is indeed. He gets shit loads of holidays in-line with the schools. He goes to Loomies a lot but like me never eats there as the food is pants. He normally does a 'round robin' from Bournemouth to Loomies and then back via Dock Gate 20.