Thread: Immobiliser

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Immobiliser

Hi. Bought a 07 heritage softail last year,earlier this year it wouldn't start,put new battery in but indicators were flashing and wouldn't start eventually got it going,went out yesterday battery dead,charged overnight still won't start,indicators flashing no chirp from immobiliser when fob present new batteries in fob,think alarm disabled as no sound when bike moved but indicators flash,any help thank.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Nice first post! Welcome to the forum. There was a recall for an issue that gave very similar symptoms. The battery would discharge and only have enough juice remaining to operate lights and indicators not turn the engine over. The ignition switch was replaced and a relay fitted. The ignition switch and relay should be your first port of call. Failing that there is a black wire that runs under the tank, check that for signs of deterioration, corrosion on the terminals and/or chafing. That is of course if your machine was liable for the recall and it was actually carried out? Check with your dealer and have your VIN number to hand.
    Last edited by K9F; 08-09-2017 at 01:32 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Hi thanks for prompt reply,just went back out to bike after tinkering all morning an hey ho all is well fob activated immobiliser and away we go,do you know is alarm system need a certain amount of time to reset after battery been removed,thanks.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    No it doesn't! The fact you tinkered with the bike and mysteriously found it worked again without attributing exactly what the cause was is classic symptoms of why the recall and upgrade was introduced in the first place! I hope your bike doesn't let you down when you least expect it as loss of ignition was another symptom whilst riding! Good luck!

A few pointers next time it happens, to get a few more details. Found by using Google who is my friend and can be yours too!.

1. Start relay faulty ... Can you hear it click when ignition is turned ON ?? Pull it out and in a few times, could be some corrosion on the pins.
    2. Starter Motor earth , (later models is the two starter motor mounting bolts), if you have tools, check and tighten ...
    3. Trigger wire to starter solenoid, (small green wire), that plugs in connector on starter motor .. Disconnect and connect a few times . May be some corrosion or loose connection..
    If you have no luck with above ,, will will bypass the start switch and the start relay..
    You will need 3 feet of any electrical wire ...
    1. Get access to battery terminals
    2. Pull solenoid trigger switch wire from connector to Starter motor.
    3. Push one end of wire INTO connector, (making good contact), on Starter motor.
    4. Bike in neutral ,, ignition switch ON,, Run switch ON ..(fuel pump primes).
    5. With other end of wire ,, make contact with POSITIVE terminal .. Starter motor should spin,, bike should crank and start ...
    Last edited by K9F; 08-09-2017 at 06:55 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    You forgot number 6 : if bike does not start your fu#&ed, call for assistance and sit down to a cup of tea and a pork pie

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    He would have been lucky if the bike did have a recall - on the 07 Sportsters, water can get into the wiring harness covers from up front; run down under the tank and all the way down to the back of the fusebox - All unseen.

Because the back of the fusebox is not covered (nor is the front, come to that) all the ends of the fuse and relay contacts are exposed to the water where it causes the fuses or relays to put a rapid drain on the battery which you don't know about until you want to start the bike.

All HD did was ignore the problem and then in 2008 fit a differently arranged fusebox.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Hi thanks for replays,it seems to be playing up again,sometimes when switched on it will start ok next time it gives two sharp bleeps and won't start doesn't seem to activate immobiliser,switched off went back after a couple of minutes and gave the quieter bleep and started.think battery in alarm needs replacing it chirps 3 times when switched off,where can I find it on 07 heritage softail,thanks.
    Last edited by pockets; 08-13-2017 at 10:26 AM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    ^^Follow my list of pointers above.^^ It'll soon tell you whether this is in fact an immobiliser or electrical issue. The second set of instructions in this case would be best as you are in effect bypassing all the main start components, if it's still a no go I would then be looking towards the main battery and associated charging/connection components.

There should also be a means by which you can bypass the alarm/immobiliser system. On mine there is a pin number you can input, on some older machines there used to be a barrel lock on the alarm unit you could turn off. No idea what you have on yours but a read of the manual may help?
    Last edited by K9F; 08-13-2017 at 11:05 AM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Where is the fob when you are trying to start the bike?

I ask because I had this happen a couple of times.

I fitted new good quality batteries to my fobs, yet sometimes the fob doesn't register but changing pockets seems to sort it out - it's as though the weather (maybe) or some other interference blocks or reduces the range.