Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FXD 1450

France trip tomorrow

Heading from Plymouth-Roscoff tomorrow then riding down to Chateauneuf then the next day down to Normandy for a couple of days then back. 204 Miles each way but I am a little concerned that garages may be few and far between. When planning longer routes what is the best way to check I will pass enough garages?

Do you use any particular planning sites? What range can I expect from my Dyna 1450 before reserve?

Many thanks in advance. Looking forward to planning longer trips in the future once I have this one under my belt.

Tris.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE

France trip tomorrow

Look up mcn and you should find a review for you bike which will tell you mpg etc

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/

Good tip this time would be to actually measure the miles on your bike to a full tank.....that way you will know specifically the range of your own rather than the guidelines quoted....have a wonderful journey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dod; 08-07-2017 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FXD 1450
    Looks around 40mpg and 135 Miles range so that is reassuring. Aiming to refuel around 100 Miles if I can find a garage.

My Ride

France trip tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by trishd View Post
    Looks around 40mpg and 135 Miles range so that is reassuring. Aiming to refuel around 100 Miles if I can find a garage.
    Use google maps to find a garage near you or google search engine quoting petrol stations on or near the motorway you will be driving on...

Also, I would bump the mpg down a little but yes go for around the 100 mile mark to refuel

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FXD 1450
    This site shows the garages:

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

Seems to be quite a few along the route which is reassuring. Just worry with Europe due to unusual opening hours & fuel strikes etc. Going to use my phone for navigation with Waze. Wired a USB feed to the handlebars yesterday for power.

My Ride
    This site shows the garages:

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

Seems to be quite a few along the route which is reassuring. Just worry with Europe due to unusual opening hours & fuel strikes etc. Going to use my phone for navigation with Waze. Wired a USB feed to the handlebars yesterday for power.
    Looks like you will be sorted then....have a great holiday

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FXD 1450
    Thanks Dod will post pics on my return with a narrative. Quite excited as its my 1st venture abroad on a bike over a considerable distance.

My Ride
    Thanks Dod will post pics on my return with a narrative. Quite excited as its my 1st venture abroad on a bike over a considerable distance.
    It sounds as though you have done this trip quite a few times? I am sure all will be just fine and will only fuel you to probably do more long runs on the bike...just remember it's a Harley your on so you get away with taking a little more time to get to your destinations..

Have a wonderful time and look forward to your pics...

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Low Rider S
    Hi Trishd, I'm sure you won't have a problem with fuel, I always find I get a better fuel range from a tank while abroad, the traffic is a lot less so you tend to brake and accelerate less than over here.

Have fun.
    To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by xbpod View Post
    Hi Trishd, I'm sure you won't have a problem with fuel, I always find I get a better fuel range from a tank while abroad, the traffic is a lot less so you tend to brake and accelerate less than over here.

Have fun.
    I took my Honda across to France a few years ago. Finding fuelling stations wasn't a problem, you'll be fine with all your current prep. Have a good trip.
    FTW )