Thread: Ceramic coating

My Ride
    2015 Sportster Iron 883 N

Ceramic coating

Hi chaps,
    I wonder if anyone has any experience with ceramic coating products that can be applied on engine as well as body parts?

I've been looking into Gtechniq Evo but not clear if can be applied on wrinkle black engine paint work.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Welcome to the forum.

As with most coatings stripping and dipping (usually with a zinc wash) rather than simply re-coating with a different product gives best results. You did not say whether you were doing the process which includes baking the parts in the oven or having the lot done professionally? Many people have had good results with this process. The best place to view the results is on the USA Harley forum where there are a myriad of threads with photographic evidence!

It is not advisable simply going over an original coating with another completely different one. Preparation is the key to great results.
    Last edited by K9F; 08-04-2017 at 06:03 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    2015 Sportster Iron 883 N
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

As with most coatings stripping and dipping (usually with a zinc wash) rather than simply re-coating with a different product gives best results. You did not say whether you were doing the process which includes baking the parts in the oven or having the lot done professionally? Many people have had good results with this process. The best place to view the results is on the USA Harley forum where there are a myriad of threads with photographic evidence!

It is not advisable simply going over an original coating with another completely different one. Preparation is the key to great results.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have a little experiencing with detailing cars and was wondering if the same principle would apply to a motorbike engine, specially the wrinkle black paintwork. Will Defo check out the American forum for some visual stimulation.
    Definitely not repainting or baking any coat mainly because the bike is new. Just trying to find a way to repell water and dust from it and make as scratch resistant as I can (9H).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    I have only seen ceramic coatings for paintwork.

It can be a difficult product to apply and if you get it wrong it will be a swine to fix.

It does require careful timing for when to buff the product. Some require a second product to aid the buffing process. After that it must be kept dry for 24 hours to cure.

It seems a big faff to me I will stick with wax and sealants to protect the paintwork.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
    I have only seen ceramic coatings for paintwork.

It can be a difficult product to apply and if you get it wrong it will be a swine to fix.

It does require careful timing for when to buff the product. Some require a second product to aid the buffing process. After that it must be kept dry for 24 hours to cure.

It seems a big faff to me I will stick with wax and sealants to protect the paintwork.

My Python III slip-on mufflers are black ceramic coated, it seems like a tough hardwearing coating.

IMG_20140629_202526 (2).jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 10-30-2017 at 06:21 PM.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Ceramic coating is also used on cylinder linings and pistons, it has to be tough to handle that. Ceramic can handle heat, pressure and high temperatures.

Attachment 7786 Attachment 7787
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 10-30-2017 at 06:41 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL883R
    I had the Remus headers on my previous XR1200 ceramic coated and they turned out very well. Can't remember how much it cost other than I thought it was expensive at the time. The coating stood up extremely well to heat and stone chip abrasion, no complaints.
    _DSC7337 - Copy.JPG