My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

OEM handlebar switches

Where can I get a 'replacement' OEM Hi/Lo headlight switch from, one with the rocker function for Pass?

It seems some of those which fit other models will fit in my XL switch housing.

I have seen loads of switch button covers and empty switch housings; plus plenty of aftermarket handlebar clamp types, but they don't fit my purpose.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I may be wrong here Gettin'onabit but I think that by the intricate nature of the assembly of these controls a replacement unit is the best and easiest option rather than trying to source the individual switch.

May I ask what is it you are trying to achieve and are you replacing a two position switch for a momentary one? If it's the latter buying a complete unit and robbing the parts would still be the easiest option perhaps?

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I'm wanting to use the pass function part of the switch (which is the same size switch as the normal Hi/Lo switch, but it rocks at the bottom in a third position for Pass).

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Still think the easiest solution is a complete assembly that you can dismantle and explore the practicality of just swapping/robbing Peter to pay Paul or swap the whole internals but retain your own outer casings maybe? Extra wiring would be needed for the pass function anyway and your corresponding electrical receptacle on your bike may not be wired for that option?

Just bouncing a few ideas from an electrical perspective. Not meant to rile or antagonise.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    If I can find the right secondhand left hand switch assembly at a sensible price I could swap them over easily - but the Pass function switch can all be wired in the switch housing by cutting and splicing the yellow high beam wire and the blue power supply wire to the switch.

So as I was cutting two of the three wires anyway it made sense to me just to find the appropriate rocker switch.

However, finding the right complete switch assembly wouldn't mean robbing Peter to pay Paul - I would just change the whole lot over as they are all the same size.

Here is what I am after - this one is on a Roadster.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 07-31-2017 at 01:42 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I have partly solved what I want to do with lighting and switching.

I bought a cheap Chinese handlebar switch which has three functions: Horn; Lights - On/Off; Indicators. I thought that it was cheap enough to fiddle about with and if it didn't work, who cares at £2.50?

First thing I did was remove the metal clamp insert from the handlebar loop as it was for 7/8" bars. Then I opened up the plastic part to 1" diameter.

I made a .075mm stainless steel insert instead with a black number plate screw to lock the unit on the bars.

I removed all of the seven wires except one so I could modify the switches internally using heavier wire for that and the other wires that I re-connected.

I managed to wipe off the white printed switch 'text' from the body of the unit and added what I wanted with white paint.

I now have a switch will do any of the following depending on what I select. 1) Flash Main Beam 2) Flash Main Beam and Spots 3) Run with Spots On when On Low Beam 4) Run with Spots On when On High Beam 5) When on (4) the Spots will go off if I Dip Main Beam.

If I had thought about it more, I could have added Switch Off Dip Beam rather than Always On.

I'm now looking for a very small 4 contact connector male+female in black - but as it is only three wires I have to connect in the stock light switch housing, I might not use it and wire direct when I have established what I want to use for splicing. At least that way it avoids a connector cable tied to the bars.