Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    I was kinda the same as you over the winter but kept my optimiser on all the time and only disconnected it when I fired the bike up for at least 15 mins once a fortnight..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't think it matters. When I did my research on best tender to get, it said you could leave it on all the time. I have to run the power supply out to the outhouse to charge the bike from the house. Hence why I charge it for a shorter period of time. I usually run the bike for about 30mins to run of any condensation and get the bike running a running temperature for a bit.
    FTW )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Dod (07-14-2017)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I used the same Optimate on the same motorbike for 19 years constantly. If you do not have a sealed maintenance-free battery you need to keep an eye on the electrolyte level as it does drop.
    They are great bits of kit and with advancement are no longer classed as a 'charger' but a 'tender' that simulates daily use by purposely discharging and recharging the battery.
    A battery takes a beasting cranking over a V-Twin and to replace the energy consumed it takes a journey of 7 miles (in one go, not accrued in short bursts) to replace what was used. A tender is a great tool and worthwhile the minimum effort rigging up the bike to accept one.
    I too now use a Harley-Davidson branded one and it is the same shape and not much larger than a computer mouse, it is connected to the bike whenever I am not riding it.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Dod (07-14-2017)

My Ride
    Road King Special
    Mine is on permanently whilst it is parked in the garage

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    I used the same Optimate on the same motorbike for 19 years constantly. If you do not have a sealed maintenance-free battery you need to keep an eye on the electrolyte level as it does drop.
    They are great bits of kit and with advancement are no longer classed as a 'charger' but a 'tender' that simulates daily use by purposely discharging and recharging the battery.
    A battery takes a beasting cranking over a V-Twin and to replace the energy consumed it takes a journey of 7 miles (in one go, not accrued in short bursts) to replace what was used. A tender is a great tool and worthwhile the minimum effort rigging up the bike to accept one.
    I too now use a Harley-Davidson branded one and it is the same shape and not much larger than a computer mouse, it is connected to the bike whenever I am not riding it.
    I don't really use my bike unless it's going about a 20mile journey. Being about 9 miles in on direction and 11 in the other from civilisation, means the bike always gets a good run for the battery.
    FTW )

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Dod (07-15-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    I don't really use my bike unless it's going about a 20mile journey. Being about 9 miles in on direction and 11 in the other from civilisation, means the bike always gets a good run for the battery.
    To quote a phrase " out of sight, out of mind " lol

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I got mine as a result of Harley dealer saying it would be the first thing he would buy starting new with the bike...do you know what kind of warranty we get on batteries when buying bikes new?? I could look it up but maybe one of you guys know?

I have checked out the warranty - it appears the battery is covered under the terms of the new bike warranty unless of course they deem something has been done to the bike which may void the warranty.

A new battery fitted after the bike warranty has expired, has a 12 month warranty.

I can't find out if any of the two warranties would be void if a non-Harley battery tender has been used - but then how would they know?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-09-2018), Dod (07-15-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Thanks for checking. Cheers

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

My Ride
    To quote a phrase " out of sight, out of mind " lol

Ouch that's cruel
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I have a Halfords charger optimiser thingie that is connected up all winter, never had any sort of problem since i started using it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nickyboy4 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-02-2018)

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    I fired the bike up for at least 15 mins once a fortnight..
    This is not long enough IMO and unless you are running the engine at a moderate to high speed will not get enough heat into the engine. I think you will be better served just leaving until you can get out and ride.

I can find no evidence of that.

AFAIK what it does do unlike a trickle charger is stop charging completely and monitor the voltage of the battery. When voltage drops to a set point it starts to charge. This is why it is called a tender and not a charger.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-09-2018)