Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE

Battery optimiser

Just wanted to know what you guys out there do in relation to this topic..

I bought an optimate for my battery and every time I lock up my bike and put it in my garage now, I always plug it in...The reason being I don't know how long it will be before I am back on my bike due to weather and health..

The reason I do this is there is always a drain on the battery due to the alarm fitted and batteries do self discharge I believe with factors like temperature being a factor as to how much it's discharged. ( correct me if I am wrong please ).

My question is, what do you guys do? Am I wrong in what I am doing? Share your thoughts please and hope you all have a good day.

P.s. Sorry if there is already another thread on this..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Health wise it sounds like I am in a similar position and I don't dare ride in the rain as I cannot physically afford an 'off'.

So my bike gets used very much in the same way.

I have a new Harley battery tender which the Main Dealer gave me when I bought the bike.

Initially I used it to charge up a new battery and although I used the bike over the winter a couple of times, I plugged the tender in more or less as soon as I put the bike away and left it 'on'.

Since the better weather (ha-ha) came along, I have used the bike more, but still have periods of say two or three weeks not using it - so after three weeks I plug the tender on.

I note that with the Harley tender model that I have it tells me if I have a useful charge or a full charge - obviously either way the bike will start.

At the moment, given the recent hot weather even though it has cooled off somewhat, I reckon the bike would start after three weeks without having had the tender on.

I am working on guesswork for the discharge rate and whether the tender is needed, I suppose.

IIRC a fully charged battery will self discharge at a rate of around 0.1% a day; so a reasonably charged battery at say, 12.6 Volts will drop to a fairly useless 12.3 Volts in about three weeks - but I may be wrong.

BTW - My experience has led me not to entirely trust battery tenders, as the commonest battery failures always seem to have an Optimiser in the background.

AL

V.I.B Contributor
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    If I am not planning to use the bike for a while (say a couple of months) I just connect my battery up to the Optimate every couple of weeks and leave it on for 3 – 4 days. Also, if I am planning on going away on a trip I will normally connect the battery up to the Optimate for a couple of days before I go just to make sure that it is topped up. I am probably not using the Optimate as it should be used but I prefer not to leave my Optimate connected for weeks on end, but I guess that is just me!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stewartg For This Useful Post:

Dod (07-14-2017)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartg View Post
    If I am not planning to use the bike for a while (say a couple of months) I just connect my battery up to the Optimate every couple of weeks and leave it on for 3 – 4 days. Also, if I am planning on going away on a trip I will normally connect the battery up to the Optimate for a couple of days before I go just to make sure that it is topped up. I am probably not using the Optimate as it should be used but I prefer not to leave my Optimate connected for weeks on end, but I guess that is just me!
    Cheers for that answer, I leave my optimate on all the time..can it do any harm apart from adding pennies to the electricity bill??

V.I.B Contributor
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I think that Optimate say that you can leave it connected to the battery for months at a time without doing any harm, but my preference is to do it my way and as I commented before, I am probably not using the Optimate to its full potential.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stewartg For This Useful Post:

Dod (07-14-2017)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartg View Post
    I think that Optimate say that you can leave it connected to the battery for months at a time without doing any harm, but my preference is to do it my way and as I commented before, I am probably not using the Optimate to its full potential.
    Thanks, so I guess no harm done my way either...

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    I just put the optimate on my bike over the winter. I usually put it on for a 24 hr period, and try and turn the bike over every couple of weeks. Longest the bike been left is 3 wks and it started fine with out going on the optimate. It doesn't do it any harm leaving it on all the time though.
    FTW )

My Ride
    I got mine as a result of Harley dealer saying it would be the first thing he would buy starting new with the bike...do you know what kind of warranty we get on batteries when buying bikes new?? I could look it up but maybe one of you guys know?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    I got mine as a result of Harley dealer saying it would be the first thing he would buy starting new with the bike...do you know what kind of warranty we get on batteries when buying bikes new?? I could look it up but maybe one of you guys know?

I have checked out the warranty - it appears the battery is covered under the terms of the new bike warranty unless of course they deem something has been done to the bike which may void the warranty.

A new battery fitted after the bike warranty has expired, has a 12 month warranty.

I can't find out if any of the two warranties would be void if a non-Harley battery tender has been used - but then how would they know?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-09-2018), Dod (07-15-2017)

My Ride
    Street Bob
    I connect mine up all the time and have done with all my bikes, it can't do any harm.

Mick

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mick200 For This Useful Post:

Dod (07-14-2017), stewartg (07-14-2017)