My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT

Electrical Dilemma.

As an electrical engineer I should be able to sort this one out myself. Nevertheless please indulge me.

My next motorcycle purchase will probably (having just recently bought one) be my last due to retirement and affordability. So what I buy will need to last hopefully.

My mate has a really nice early 1960s Triumph Bobber for sale and I have been sorely tempted.

This week with my job I have had the use of an electric (not hybrid) vehicle, a Nissan Leaf and by Christ cost of the batteries, carbon footprint of the manufacture and disposal of said batteries aside I have been very highly impressed. The acceleration and torque is phenomenal and the technology quite impressive.

Whilst batteries I feel are technologically lagging with regards to current electric vehicles, Tesla may be on to something as their vehicles whilst high in the performance stakes profess a range of over 300 miles on a single charge. They are also building a huge battery plant in Nevada. Could they be the next Microsoft with their attempt at global domination?

Ultimately I am considering dropping a prospective/speculative deposit on what is pictured below. The current release date for sale whilst not confirmed is 2020 which would make it about the right time. The CVO or whatever else I have at that time would be it's stable mate.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Whatever floats your boat. It doesn't anything for me, looks or performance wise. I like my bikes with a petrol engine. The technology is moving on but whatever they come up with, for me, it will lack the character of a v-twin. You can tell I am not opinionated when it comes to electric vehicles.
    FTW )

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Heritage, styling, driveability and performance are some of the main characteristics that make a vehicle. I was of similar opinion as yourself until the beginning of this week when I drove a complete electric vehicle. I am by far not a tree hugger but with continuing legislation the death knell and demise of the air-cooled engine is ringing and approaching fast. Also as mentioned recently on the forum noise is also being clamped down upon strengthened by the fact the Police down here have been pulling and fining motorcyclists on the A31 near Chickerell for loud pipes.

I am a dinosaur inherently resistant to change and a purist a bit like yourself Whistler. Nevertheless if you ever have the opportunity to test drive any non-hybrid electric vehicle I would highly recommend it and be interested in your point of view. I did and it has captivated my interest.

The frame weighs a mere 14 lbs and even the noise from it has had development, "The sound that we’ve developed for this motorcycle is uniquely our own," explains Richlen. "It is not silent. It’s far from it. It has a very distinct sound that is a result of the architecture we have chosen for the motor."

Finally with a 0-60 of under four seconds with a simple twist and go action it is at the very least worth having a test ride I feel? It may not look like a Sportster but it does have a Harley-Davidson badge and is in a unique category all on it's own, or rather it will be for a while anyway.
    Last edited by K9F; 07-13-2017 at 11:25 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Heritage, styling, driveability and performance are some of the main characteristics that make a vehicle. I was of similar opinion as yourself until the beginning of this week when I drove a complete electric vehicle. I am by far not a tree hugger but with continuing legislation the death knell and demise of the air-cooled engine is ringing and approaching fast. Also as mentioned recently on the forum noise is also being clamped down upon strengthened by the fact the Police down here have been pulling and fining motorcyclists on the A31 near Chickerell for loud pipes.

I am a dinosaur inherently resistant to change and a purist a bit like yourself Whistler. Nevertheless if you ever have the opportunity to test drive any non-hybrid electric vehicle I would highly recommend it and be interested in your point of view. I did and it has captivated my interest.

The frame weighs a mere 14 lbs and even the noise from it has had development, "The sound that we’ve developed for this motorcycle is uniquely our own," explains Richlen. "It is not silent. It’s far from it. It has a very distinct sound that is a result of the architecture we have chosen for the motor."

Finally with a 0-60 of under four seconds with a simple twist and go action it is at the very least worth having a test ride I feel? It may not look like a Sportster but it does have a Harley-Davidson badge and is in a unique category all on it's own, or rather it will be for a while anyway.
    I have driven the Leaf, when my work was looking for opinions on them as company vehicles. Left me cold. Let me put it in perspective:
    My grandson has had a 36 volt quad for about 3 years. It does about 25mph and is nippy for what it is. My grandson has ridden it over the years, but that's it. His 2 stroke mini dirt bike is slightly faster, but not much, noisy smelly and we can't keep him off it or away from it. He cleans it, wants to do all the maintenance, put the pre mix in it etc. He loves the noise, the smell and the roughness of it.Think it's the difference between bland and character. Think I'll bring on the new generation of dinosaur
    FTW )