Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    No bunfight just commenting based on your 'imho input' and your obvious superior knowledge and experience of everything suspension related.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    That's your opinion, and not one shared by me. It's not technical overload, it's common sense man! Others "don't appear" top have a problem is probably the correct wording. How many people have you polled? Just the members of this compact forum? I know a lot of people who ride Harley's. All of them to a man agree that their suspension is crap. A few persist with the stock set ups because 1) they either don't use their bikes much (I wonder why?) so it's not worth the outlay, 2) they only ride locally on shortish trips or 3) they're into cruising at slow speed in urban environments because it's a social thing and has got sod all to do with handling or comfort. Quite the opposite, they cruise in social groups in spite of the crap handling and harsh ride. Each to their own but I put up a lot of miles on bikes and the standard suspension is crap. Anyway, I won't be drawn any further into a bun fight with someone hell bent on an argument.
    I do higher mileage, go further afield , not into posing or social riding. My Irons suspension is still the original, and not found it to be any better or worse than my my previous bike. It's adequate for the bike and my riding style, which is aggressive on occasion. But then the Iron is a shorter wheelbase and has slightly longer suspension travel. Just my own personal findings, I'm all for each to their own.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Gen 1 Fazer 1000 & soon to have a 1200 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Just out of curiosity , does it have to be a roadster. What about a Nightster, one of the first dark custom. As K9f says the 72 is a nicely styled bike. There are so many in the sportster range if an older roadster proves hard to source.

Yes, I want to own this specific 1200 Roadster having rode one last year & It suits me fine for what I want from a Harley specification, looks & my price bracket. Will be with my wife mostly so the handling brakes etc will need to work, having read an earlier post are most of the suspensions crap on these middle weight models then?

That said the 1200 Low is a possible but most I have seen for sale have been modified quite a bit, they look really nice but are they that bad in standard form?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt M View Post
    .......having read an earlier post are most of the suspensions crap on these middle weight models then? That said the 1200 Low is a possible but most I have seen for sale have been modified quite a bit, they look really nice but are they that bad in standard form?
    As someone else said once on the forum opinions are like arseholes....everyone has one. I do not think the suspension is crap at all. The handling on mine was questionable originally but it being nearly twice the weight of anything else I had ridden and a length of 8'2" it was hardly surprising. The beauty of Harley-Davidsons is that if you do not like it in standard form there is a myriad of aftermarket extras that will make it exactly what you want it to be....be that in form and/or function.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Yes, I want to own this specific 1200 Roadster having rode one last year & It suits me fine for what I want from a Harley specification, looks & my price bracket. Will be with my wife mostly so the handling brakes etc will need to work, having read an earlier post are most of the suspensions crap on these middle weight models then?

That said the 1200 Low is a possible but most I have seen for sale have been modified quite a bit, they look really nice but are they that bad in standard form?
    Fair do' s. The roadster should be a good 2up for you and your wife. Can't comment on the suspension on other sportster models, but on my Iron it's fine. Just food for thought if the 1200Low was that bad suspension wise from the get go, would people buy them. Any 2nd hand harley will be modified to varying degrees, it's the beauty of the the bikes. Good luck with your search.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

I wouldn't consider carrying a pillion passenger on my 883 Low, given the crap suspension and swingarm travel.

I have just learned a lot from Hagon shocks about the Low versions - for example with the OEM shocks, the belt guard hits the frame behind the oil tank cover or the oil tank. If the belt guard doesn't get hit (I ground a chunk out of mine as it was hitting the frame) just after that position, the rear tyre can hit the fender.

The standard shock bottoms out at quite a short travel to avoid the above problems - sounds like a 'Ford cure' for various car problems.

I quote " Harley tend to use quite a soft spring with a large amount of preload.

This normally makes a harsher rider for very light riders and a shock which will easily bottom out for anyone 12st plus and of course any one riding two up is riding on the bump stop.

So the bottom line is, it really is cosmetic over comfort.

It can’t be low and ride great - a compromise has to be made on length!"

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Guildford Harley-Davidson have one currently sat in their showroom in really good condition, it is a later model than 2005/6 being on a 58 plate I think. The dealership was closed yesterday but as I was passing through Guildford I went to have a look. It doesn't appear to have a price tag on it and it does not appear on their website it may well be a customer's bike but it was as stated in the showroom. It is orange/black.

May be worth a punt?

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Guildford Harley-Davidson have one currently sat in their showroom in really good condition, it is a later model than 2005/6 being on a 58 plate I think. The dealership was closed yesterday but as I was passing through Guildford I went to have a look. It doesn't appear to have a price tag on it and it does not appear on their website it may well be a customer's bike but it was as stated in the showroom. It is orange/black.

May be worth a punt?
    Thank you will check it out

My Ride
    Well, I test rode two 2006 Roadsters yesterday one being a carburettor & the other fuel injection, the difference was like chalk & cheese............. the carburettor version was much, much smoother in power delivery & the gear box was noticeably smoother. Both had the black wrinkle casings & apart from wheels where exactly the same.
    Last edited by Capt M; 08-18-2017 at 05:51 PM.