My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 1992

Sportster Gauge Side mount - indication lights

Hi guys
    I'm mounting speed gauge side mount and in the mount there is space for indication lights. All new Sportsters have them but mine is 1992 and i don't think they had it originally, did they? If not - any idea how to use this space? Empty looks weird.
    thanks
    1.JPG

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Grind it off and repaint/powdercoat the frame if possible? What happened to your original indication light cluster? A decent auto electrician would be able to occupy the holes with the original set using suitable 8-10mm led inserts and rewire to relocate accordingly. Alternatively buy one that is neater and tidier which is more fit for your purpose!

Last edited by K9F; 07-02-2017 at 08:57 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    thought of it but wont look good. there is opening just under the round frame so if i grind it off it would leave a gap there.
    thus was thinking of some LEDs like indicators etc.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    What happened to your original light cluster? Have edited my post above with additions.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    bought bike already like this. easiest way is to buy light cluster off eBay and refit.
    side mount from your pic is really neat but one like this goes for ~200$ so i chose budget version.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    What about the original wiring that went to the original cluster? Do you still have it, if not how was it terminated? Am just interested due to being an electrical engineer. By the time you sort the conundrum out it may be better just shelling out the '$200' IF you have to pay someone to sort it source LEDs that will fit and marry the whole lot together?

My Ride
    i need to get users manual for my HD and find out which cable is which. there are 6 mysterious cables connected with the speedo which is surprising considering this is mechanical speedo so beside light don't need any wiring

My Ride
    so after quick investigation - yes my model defo had dash lights. unfortunately my manual is for models 1986-2003 so describes too many models to do it properly and i cant find proper wire diagram for the speedo. any idea what those wires are for?
    20170702_164620.jpg

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    We can guess all day, internal illumination, earth return and possibly high beam indication dependent on the original layout? Looks on the face of it like they too have been butchered as well?

My Ride
    for the gauge itself it can only be illumination, there are no dash lights embodied on the speedo. i assume indicators, high beam etc are on diff wire. for me electrics is which-craft so i better take it HD shop and let them figure it out.