Thread: FLSTN Seat

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

FLSTN Seat

Hi struggling to get comfy on my 2016 deluxe, I'm just short of 6', I got a tall boy seat which made things better but feel I needed to go lower and a bit more back support, was told a Sundowner Fatboy would fit, it didn't, looking at a Sundowner seat but still not sure if it'll do the job, had a Mustang on my Sportster so I know what there like.

Here's the thing I don't want to shell out £300+ just to find out its no good, I've tried repeated attempts attempts at local dealer to get some answers as one would think they are the right people to talk to but to be frank I'm getting a little P****D off after 17G and I get, "nah we aint got anything to try, lets av a look at the parts catalog, "yea that'll fit £400, der " I want to try before I buy, and "I'm a bit busy right now, Am I being unreasonable to think I would get a bit of customer care.

getting despondent so your thoughts please and recommendations to dealers with good customer care

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE

FLSTN Seat

Quote Originally Posted by blaktop1 View Post
    Hi struggling to get comfy on my 2016 deluxe, I'm just short of 6', I got a tall boy seat which made things better but feel I needed to go lower and a bit more back support, was told a Sundowner Fatboy would fit, it didn't, looking at a Sundowner seat but still not sure if it'll do the job, had a Mustang on my Sportster so I know what there like.

Here's the thing I don't want to shell out £300+ just to find out its no good, I've tried repeated attempts attempts at local dealer to get some answers as one would think they are the right people to talk to but to be frank I'm getting a little P****D off after 17G and I get, "nah we aint got anything to try, lets av a look at the parts catalog, "yea that'll fit £400, der " I want to try before I buy, and "I'm a bit busy right now, Am I being unreasonable to think I would get a bit of customer care.

getting despondent so your thoughts please and recommendations to dealers with good customer care
    Only an idea but have you tried something like gumtree where you can post up "wanted" and explain your situation and ask for a trial of someone else's seat that lives in your area?? You will be leaving your seat with them etc for their own security and I don't think shops will have seats probably ready to hand or want to risk potential damage to a brand new seat so reach out to the Harley community and see what happens???

As I say, it's only an idea...

Even try an American group on Facebook or similar where you will be more likely to find guys with the same bike as you and get their opinions if you have to take the jump and buy without trying??

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dod; 06-24-2017 at 11:39 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

blaktop1 (06-25-2017)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Another idea perhaps would be to locate a vehicle/marine seat upholsterers and have your seat reworked to suit. You may be lucky enough to have such a company near you whereupon you can trial any changes and get it exactly how you want it for style and comfort in the material and colour of your choosing?

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

blaktop1 (06-25-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Thanks K9F, I have already taken the cover of the tallboy seat and done just that, cut some foam away and added gel insert but to be honest its looking more and more like the sundowner now, im actually very close to the underside of the seat pan now so cant take any more out, that's why im looking for that holy grail, obviously other seat pans are designed for lower and further back seating, but without trying its hard to say.

It could be other options like different bars or further forward foot controls to attain the seating position required but still requires further expenditure without trial,
    Its like you need to test ride bikes at least a couple of days not just a few hours to make the best decision, when I road tested the deluxe I forgot to ask if it had been modded and it was a 2 yr old bike with a few thousand miles on it.

I know there is lots of variables suspension setup, bars etc, but just dejected a little with dealers attitude after parting with the shekels and not getting the feedback, I'm getting better response on from this forum than the dealers or is it that now I'm in my late 50s I'm getting a grumpy old fart.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blaktop1 For This Useful Post:

K9F (06-25-2017)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by blaktop1 View Post
    ........or is it that now I'm in my late 50s I'm getting a grumpy old fart.
    Nice one blacktop I can both fully agree and understand sitting in exactly the same boat (not bike) as yourself. I have the option on mine of removing the pillion seat. It looks cool as hell as a single seater, nevertheless when perhaps a little over zealous with the throttle as a bobber style my arse does not stay put. I have had all the usual banter about sewing Velcro strips to the arse of my jeans and corresponding Velcro hook strips to the seat. Another option would be to buy a replacement seat. But without trialling one I am very reluctant to do so with an expected outlay of £400 plus. I liked the Fred Kodlin seat that comes in even more expensive. Whilst my seat is comfortable with the pillion seat fitted offering lower back support I shall live with mine as a dual seater as it was only for aesthetics I was heading down the alternative seat route.

Whilst perhaps frustrating most dealers, mine included will not hold stock of many parts, I had a conversation about this with mine. To them items that 'may or may not sell' means dead money and storage space and being able to get them next day delivery anyway makes for good business sense not to hold them especially as they will forward them on to your home address at no extra cost.

There's one for sale for a Breakout elsewhere called a 'Crazy Bitchin' Seat' for $2,500 that cost originally over $4,500. Alligator, Ostrich and Premium Hide. At that price I would want to put it on the wall in an adequately alarmed room not put my hairy hoop on it and take it out into the wide world. Nevertheless the alligator skin may have kept my butt on the seat or ripped it to shreds on cracking open the throttle perhaps?

Last edited by K9F; 06-25-2017 at 12:27 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Nice bike love the color, Yea its a dilema for sure regarding seats, I tried stock for a while and as you say it looks good but It just so uncomfortable, one will definitely come up on eBay or gumtree, the tallboy I paid 100 for and a work in progress I don't mind that, I did buy a another but that didn't fit and sold on for the same so ill just bide my time for sure.

Bitchin seat looks cool, HaHa like your comments, and yea over zealous on the throttle made me slip back a few times on the tallboy seat but now I've carved it lower Its given me a slight back support and stops that sliding back.

Whilst i agree that its a lot to hold stock and they do like changing model fitment, why don't they have a network communication with dealers at the end of a phone to say " we haven't got anything to suit at the moment but ill check other branches to see if they have what your looking for and get that here for you to try", Its all about customer care, if you make the client feel special he will come back time and time again.

all the best with your quest too.
    Last edited by blaktop1; 06-25-2017 at 01:56 PM.