Thread: Oil Drain Plug

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Oil Drain Plug

Getting near to changing the oils on this XL-L and I was having a look round at getting draining pans under the bike.

Noticed there is a slight leak of oil from the primary oil drain plug and I gather there is an O-ring in there.

Should I just change the O-ring or will an aluminium washer be as good if not better?

Or is the drain hole specially shaped for the O-ring?

They were all aluminium ones on the Ducati and Guzzi.

Thanks, AL.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Hi Gettin'onabit,

Just to share an idea.

Not sure if they do them for Harley-Davidsons but when I am out of warranty and service plan I intend looking into sourcing a Femco Drain Plug. Absolutely no mess and a complete breeze to carry out an oil change. I have used them in the past and they are absolute brilliant bits of kit.

https://www.femcodrainplug.com/femco-drain-plugs.html

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Gettin'onabit (06-24-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Not sure I shouldn't figure out the basics before I start splurging dosh out on fancy drain plugs - the best mine ever got were drilled and stainless steel lockwired!

Well, I know now what the O-Ring part number is; but you know what its like with those damn things - you can never tell if they are ordinary; oil resistant or viton until the bugger fails.

I just hope I have some suitable aluminium washers if the seat in the casing will take one.

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    i understand (though i may well be incorrect), that on a dyna, the 3 drain plug's (engine, gear and primary) are the same spec, and therefore the 'O' rings are the same spec

If so, is there a commercial alternative to the harley supplied 'O' rings, where you could buy the 'O' rings in packets of say 100, or crush washer alternatives

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswg View Post
    i understand (though i may well be incorrect), that on a dyna, the 3 drain plug's (engine, gear and primary) are the same spec, and therefore the 'O' rings are the same spec

If so, is there a commercial alternative to the harley supplied 'O' rings, where you could buy the 'O' rings in packets of say 100, or crush washer alternatives

Ebay sells them ...just type in the search box.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    the ebay packs I am seeing are buna (nitrile) not Viton, they are under six quid post free from china for a hundred but are they any good? I think nitrile is only rated up to 250 degrees temp? where do people buy HD 11105 Viton o rings for a good price?