My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Urgent advice please guys

I've got a softail heritage 2000, I've just topped front brake reservoir up with dot 4. A friend has just told me to check reservoir cap and sure enough it's dot 5. I've just drained it and now added dot 5 it's purple the last stuff was clear like dot 4. I'm now thinking as it has after market calipher , billet pm, is it possible that I should be using 4 ? I've just emptied reservoir I'm losing my marbles, any advice would be much appreciated , thankyou

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Moth View Post
    I've got a softail heritage 2000, I've just topped front brake reservoir up with dot 4. A friend has just told me to check reservoir cap and sure enough it's dot 5. I've just drained it and now added dot 5 it's purple the last stuff was clear like dot 4. I'm now thinking as it has after market calipher , billet pm, is it possible that I should be using 4 ? I've just emptied reservoir I'm losing my marbles, any advice would be much appreciated , thankyou
    I looked up online and dot 5 is used on your bike up to year 2005... there are some claims it was 2009 but that's irrelevant to yours being well below the discrepancies..one thing I did see was dot 4 and dot 5 mixed is not really a good thing so some people suggested it should be flushed out...the two being mixed can cause major issues apparently...

I am going to end my post here as I don't want to suggest something that can potentially it seems cause major issues....google it and see the results yourself but first and foremost I hope someone here does know more and can guide you into the right path....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

Moth (06-10-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Thankyou dod, because it doesn't have standard harley caliper I was wandering if that changed things ? The fluid in reservoir is clear dot 5 is purple, your right though when I find out which one for sure I will have to flush it through. I'm worried my seals might be knackered but we will see.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Moth View Post
    Thankyou dod, because it doesn't have standard harley caliper I was wandering if that changed things ? The fluid in reservoir is clear dot 5 is purple, your right though when I find out which one for sure I will have to flush it through. I'm worried my seals might be knackered but we will see.
    A common thing that buggers up when mixing can be the seals....quite a few folk commented on that and I don't want to be the bearer of bad news...my fingers are crossed this gets sorted for you quickly and at minimum cost..really wish I could have helped and hoped for more answers on this post for you......Friday night and everyone is out it seems??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Sorry Moth....You will need to flush thoroughly....and not because of just the seals

Dot 5.1 is fine to mix with 4 and 3 as they're all polyglycol based. Dot 5 is silicone based and doesn't mix. Whilst it is permissible to mix DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 brake fluids, DOT 5 Silicone fluid cannot be mixed with any other type. If the system is not completely purged before conversion, the mixture may gel and result in very poor braking and severe ABS issues if you have ABS.

Personally I would run with DOT 4 or 5.1 whatever you can lay your hands on thereafter (except DOT 5) will be ok to top up.
    Last edited by K9F; 06-10-2017 at 09:21 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Moth (06-10-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Yhanks guys, i got local bike garage to flush it through, they put dot 5 in fingets crossed it will be ok.