Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Ride
    A proper bike
    That's a great mileage and goes to show just how important caring for a bike's condition is. These days, most things, inlcluding bikes are treated very much as disposable commodities. That sickens me but it is supported by manufacturers who gain nothing if your car or fridge or TV is still running in 10 years time instead of tempting you to a new model.

That's what I like about Harleys. They're built to last even if they do become "Trigger's Broom" with the changes that owners like to make!

Used a new product yesterday, applied over the Sonax nano paint protect stuff already coating the tank. It's from menzerna and is their Lock and Seal compound. I tried the Carlack 68 stuff which was good but it lent a slightly weird sheen to the black paint and didn't prove that effective against swirl marks (mostly in the sealant).

The Menzerna stuff is great! Lent a really nice deep and dark gloss, with more of a wet look to the bike and has proved much more resistant to swirl marks. I'll try and get a few photos up later today.

If there's those wondering just why I've applied these coatings over the Sonax stuff, it's because it enhances the protection and lengthens the time between recoating with sonax to just once a year or less, if you re-apply the other sealants every 6 months or so, or when you notice swirl marks building up. These won't be in the paint but just on the sealant coatings themselves, a sort of sacrificial layer protecting the paint.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    That's a great mileage and goes to show just how important caring for a bike's condition is. These days, most things, inlcluding bikes are treated very much as disposable commodities. That sickens me but it is supported by manufacturers who gain nothing if your car or fridge or TV is still running in 10 years time instead of tempting you to a new model.

That's what I like about Harleys. They're built to last even if they do become "Trigger's Broom" with the changes that owners like to make!

Used a new product yesterday, applied over the Sonax nano paint protect stuff already coating the tank. It's from menzerna and is their Lock and Seal compound. I tried the Carlack 68 stuff which was good but it lent a slightly weird sheen to the black paint and didn't prove that effective against swirl marks (mostly in the sealant).

The Menzerna stuff is great! Lent a really nice deep and dark gloss, with more of a wet look to the bike and has proved much more resistant to swirl marks. I'll try and get a few photos up later today.

If there's those wondering just why I've applied these coatings over the Sonax stuff, it's because it enhances the protection and lengthens the time between recoating with sonax to just once a year or less, if you re-apply the other sealants every 6 months or so, or when you notice swirl marks building up. These won't be in the paint but just on the sealant coatings themselves, a sort of sacrificial layer protecting the paint.
    In all honesty the Honda was just serviced regularly, and washed and dried when it was dirty. At the time , I hadn't used ACF 50, just wd40, to keep rust at bay. Used to wax bike regularly and used Mr Sheen in between times. Bike was my only form of transport for first 4yrs I had it, then as a weekend, sunny day , holiday bike. Also took it abroad a few times (Portugal, Belgium and France). Took me to rallys all over the UK, and never broke down. It even took the right wing off the bmw 4+4 that turned into me crushing my foot to bits. It only came away with a bent bar, broken footpeg, brake lever and a scuffed indicator. Tough old bike.
    FTW )