My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic

Heritage Softail issue after replacing battery

Hi there

I have a 1996 Heritage Softail Classic.

Over the winter months I took the battery off and plugged onto my optimiser which I do every year.

Upon putting the battery back on I seem to have developed a bit of an issue with the left hand indicator.

When I approach the bike, I press the alarm button - everything goes off fine, and both indicators flash as normal.

With just the ignition on - Right indicator works fine. Left turns on but won't turn off. I have to turn the right hand indicator on which turns the left off.

With the engine running - The left hand indicator doesn't work at all.

It sounds like a bit of an electrical gremlin, and my first thought was to take the battery off and put it back on again and see what happens but thought I would ask what peoples ideas were first. I have just seen a youtube video about getting error codes which I shall try later on, but just wondered if anyone had any ideas of what the cause could be.

Many thanks

Duncan

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    As it is alarmed and did you follow procedure in the Owner's Manual? You usually turn the run switch to on to remove batteries on alarmed bikes, remove maxi fuse, usually near the battery, turn ignition off then disconnect battery. to replace battery do the reverse. Disconnect the battery (negative first) leave it for five minutes then reconnect (positive first). See where you are then.
    Last edited by K9F; 04-10-2017 at 11:37 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    That is a brilliant point...!!! I shall take it off and replace it as per that procedure and see what I get.. Thankyou!!

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Welcome for the response and welcome to the forum by the way! Hope you're gonna stick around rather than scoot off until your next problem?
    Last edited by K9F; 04-10-2017 at 11:38 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Oh no.. Im a stayer.... I shall contribute as and where I can

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Sounds like K9f's got it covered. Welcome to the forum. We discus more than problems here, there's some good banter as well.
    FTW )

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Sounds like K9f's got it covered. Welcome to the forum. We discus more than problems here, there's some good banter as well.
    That's good. The more the merrier.
    FTW )