Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Ride
    1450 fat boy
    Buying crap tools will always cause chaos! With a good T27 it is acceptable to apply a slight tap onto the socket extension to break the deadlock but this is down to the users finesse and experience, with this case a panel pin size hammer might be best,

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricko For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (04-04-2017), Dipstick (04-04-2017), K9F (04-04-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster custom
    All screws loosened using the correct size T27 Torx bit., and no need for an impact driver
    Thanks for all the advice everyone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (04-05-2017)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Great news and a fantastic resolution......simple!

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    1450 fat boy
    Another £0000 resolution

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Iron 883
    Evening all, I've got a rounded allen bolt (one of your's Dave, although it's not because of the quality of the bolt it's got a snapped torx head in it, crappy JCB quality) on my inspection cover and I'm trying to get it out, any ideas? apart from welding a bolt on?
    trying to avoid that Cheers Chris IMG_2096.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to senorjocky For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-01-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hello Chris,

Looks like that screws well chewed up, if it wasn't as bad as it is you could have tried using a wide elastic band, that gives the allen key a bit of grip to turn it.

Unfortunately yours is past that stage, I'd recommend using a screw extractor, these can be bought as a set of five for £4.95 on eBay, item number is 272422017899, the seller is in Bradford, West Yorkshire. The extractors have a left hand thread so as you screw them into the damaged fastener it screws out. You can also buy screw extractor sets from your local hardware store. The extractors have a square head, ideal for using with a tap wrench.

s-l400 (1).jpg s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (3).jpg s-l400 (4).jpg

Here's an instruction video showing how to use a screw extractor to remove a stubborn fastener.

Last edited by bluenose-1956; 03-02-2018 at 12:22 AM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Hello Chris,

Looks like that screws well chewed up, if it wasn't as bad as it is you could have tried using a wide elastic band, that gives the allen key a bit of grip to turn it.

Unfortunately yours is past that stage, I'd recommend using a screw extractor, these can be bought as a set of five for £4.95 on eBay, item number is 272422017899, the seller is in Bradford, West Yorkshire. The extractors have a left hand thread so as you screw them into the damaged fastener it screws out. You can also buy screw extractor sets from your local hardware store. The extractors have a square head, ideal for using with a tap wrench.

s-l400 (1).jpg s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (3).jpg s-l400 (4).jpg

Here's an instruction video showing how to use a screw extractor to remove a stubborn fastener.

Hi Dave yes Iíve got a set of those but not had much success and itís pretty cheeed up now, but after watching a few videos of it being done Iím going to give it a go again today as itís reay annoying me now that I canít get it out as itís not torqued in and isnít that long a bolt so it should come out pretty rasily if I can just get some traction with it 👍 going to email you shortly too with a request 👍

Cheers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to senorjocky For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-02-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by senorjocky View Post
    Hi Dave yes Iíve got a set of those but not had much success and itís pretty cheeed up now, but after watching a few videos of it being done Iím going to give it a go again today as itís reay annoying me now that I canít get it out as itís not torqued in and isnít that long a bolt so it should come out pretty rasily if I can just get some traction with it 👍 going to email you shortly too with a request 👍

Cheers

Ok Chris,

Take it steady and don't be in too much of a rush to get the screw out, it's total length is 5/8" (16mm) including the head so there will be around 3/8" (10mm) of thread in your cover. I'll send you another two black screws.

I never torque the Primary Chain Inspection screws as it's all too easy to crack the threaded lugs on the inside of your Primary Drive Cover. There are articles on the USA H-D Forum from owners who've over tightened the screws and they've had to buy a new Primary Drive Cover. I just tighten the screws by hand using a short arm allen key, as long as there's no oil seeping out it's tight enough.

I've noticed that your Inspection Cover is scratched too, you could rub it down and spray it with black wrinkle finish paint to match your engine cases.

I've replied to your email, thanks for that.

Regards,

Dave.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Ok Chris,

Take it steady and don't be in too much of a rush to get the screw out, it's total length is 5/8" (16mm) including the head so there will be around 3/8" (10mm) of thread in your cover. I'll send you another two black screws.

I never torque the Primary Chain Inspection screws as it's all too easy to crack the threaded lugs on the inside of your Primary Drive Cover. There are articles on the USA H-D Forum from owners who've over tightened the screws and they've had to buy a new Primary Drive Cover. I just tighten the screws by hand using a short arm allen key, as long as there's no oil seeping out it's tight enough.

I've noticed that your Inspection Cover is scratched too, you could rub it down and spray it with black wrinkle finish paint to match your engine cases.

I've replied to your email, thanks for that.

Regards,

Dave.
    Hi Dave
    I managed to get it off eventually, had to drill through the old inspection cover lol... No need to send any screws you sent me two the last time (thanks for that ) when I first mentioned the issue.

I was going to ask if you knew what colour I could use on the cover, as it is all scratched and is annoying me too I'll have a Google for it and see what I can find so 'wrinkle finish paint' that's what I'm looking for?

You can see what I had to do to get it off!

99C4A246-1A0E-451D-984E-5017BB5E1112.jpg