My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FLSTFB Fatboy Lo

Question Is it the red wire or the Grey wire-don't want to blow it!

Don't know whether anybody else has come across the same issue. I bought one of the new 7" Daymaker headlight reflector units for my 2015 Fatboy Lo, having first checked out a few youtube videos to see how easy they were to install. Dead easy by the look of the videos, except mine seems to have an extra wire to locate.

When I took out the Halogen unit I disconnected the main 3 pin plug - as per the videos - easy. And also 2 female spade connectors from the small parking light. All the videos I have seen are American or Australian and they don't seem to have the parking light. When you reconnect the LED Daymaker you have the main 3 pin plug - easy. But also off of the new 3 pin plug loom is one grey wire with a male spade connector. So, I assume this connects to one of the parking light female spade connectors - probably the grey one as the new one is a shade of grey. But I'm not sure- the instructions don't tell you anything about this. I rang the local Harley dealer where I bought the light - they didn't know and suggested I bring it in to the workshop if I couldn't figure it out (25 miles away). The other female spade connector is red and white. I don't really want to make a special trip and take time off work to get to the Harley dealer again. But I don't want to blow my new quite expensive LED light either. So does anybody know - is it the grey wire or the red wire?

Thanks in advance if anybody has some thoughts on this.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    When I swapped one out on a 48 the original parking light two terminal connector was just 'bagged and stowed' the Daymaker should just be plug and play using the H4 connector only! Only Road Kings needed cutting/splicing and new connectors fitting apparently.

As long as any loose/free wires and connectors are isolated it will not do any damage connecting up the H4 connector reinstalling power and seeing exactly what you have in the way of illumination.
    Last edited by K9F; 03-15-2017 at 12:14 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Thanks K9F. I'll give it a try tonight. I'm going to put the Halogen light back in first just to see what lights up and when. Then I'll put the Daymaker in and see if it all works the same.

Cheers

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    The lights themselves are manufactured by a company called J W Speaker in the USA. I had the 7" ones fitted to my Land Rover, they are the most common size manufactured as they also fit Jeeps and several other marques of vehicles. As a result there are many different variants with/without parking light etc. They now even make one that is tilt/directional sensitive the '8790 Adaptive' for motorcycles that will angle the beam accordingly. Eye-wateringly expensive as a result. Perhaps most importantly they are a DOT & ECE dual-compliant headlight which makes them legal?

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/ad...8790-adaptive/
    Last edited by K9F; 03-15-2017 at 01:48 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Hi K9F,
    All working now. Did what you suggested and plugged the main plug in only, and everything seemed to work fine. But also found out what the extra wire was for. If you plug it into the red/white wire coming from the back of the lamp holder (Fatboy Lo 2015) it lights up the small LED Harley Davidson logo in the centre of the headlight when you have the ignition switch in the accessory position - pretty. Just taped up the remaining grey wire.
    Went out for a ride last night after dark - wow, what a difference - I can SEEEEE!!
    Cheers

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    The Harley-Davidson logo illumination is a nice touch. As my sentiments reflect on the other thread on the subject matter if you ride a lot at night the outlay is worth it in my book. I didn't fit one to the 48 but got one as standard on the CVO. It almost makes you postpone your journey so that you get to ride later to reap the benefit. There is a significant marked improvement over the standard halogen arrangement!