Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Ben,

I think fitting an M14 x 1.5 Plug is the best way to go, there's a wide selection of oil drain plugs available with that thread, lots of cars as well as motorcycles use M14 x 1.5.

custom_alu-display.jpg

The one below is for VW / Audi cars, it takes a T50 Torx bit, the o/d is 19mm.

A21798-2T.jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob 2008
    Thanks again Dave. I've got the plug and tap now. One other question, can this be done on the bike or does the sump need to come off? I'm guessing getting the sump off is going to be e big job!

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by benine15 View Post
    Thanks again Dave. I've got the plug and tap now. One other question, can this be done on the bike or does the sump need to come off? I'm guessing getting the sump off is going to be e big job!

Hello Ben,

I'm afraid to do a proper job of it you'll have to take the sump off, tapping is better done on a bench as the new thread needs to be straight, even a few degrees off parallel will make the new thread squint and the plug won't seal properly.

While the sump is on the engine you won't have room to turn the tap wrench, and you won't be able to see if your tapping straight or not. When the sump is still on the engine, swarf will find it's way into the sump from the tap, you don't want that.

You'll need some kind of tapping lubricant, if you don't have this WD-40 will do the job. I normally rotate the tap half a turn clockwise then quarter of a turn anti-clockwise to clear swarf from the new thread, repeat this process until the new thread is cut through the sump casting.

Whenever you drain the oil, use a new sealing washer before replacing the drain plug, they only cost pennies, so it's false economy to try and reuse them as they could cause a leak.

Good luck with you're tapping.

Dave.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 02-18-2018 at 07:25 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob 2008
    Thanks Dave that's brilliant. I'll set next Saturday aside and get it off.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to benine15 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (02-18-2018)