My Ride
    883R

883R Rear Tyre required - mixed types?

Just buying an 883R with a bald HD (Dunlop?) D401 rear and a still very healthy D401F front - I've seen that Avon Cobras are well liked but I guess I can't mix anew Cobra rear with the existing front ?

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi triple&twin,

I've had a good look on the Harley forums in the USA, many owners have run their bikes with mixed brands of tyres without any issues. The thing to remember is never to mix radials with cross ply's. As long as your front and rear tyres are of the same construction you should be fine mixing brands. Ideally you should use a matched pair, but why throw away a perfectly good front tyre?

Avon Cobra's are great Cruiser tyres which are ideally suited to Sportster's, and they are designed and made in Wiltshire for British roads and British weather. Avon are owned by the Cooper Tyre Company in the USA, Cooper have kept Avon Tyres a truly British concern.

avoncobras.jpg

Hope that's been of help to you.

Regards,

Dave.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 11-22-2016 at 08:44 PM.

My Ride
    883R
    Yes Sir, thanks. I fitted Avon sport tyres on a Street Triple - they were very confidence inspiring. Cobra it is!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to triple&twin For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-23-2016)

My Ride
    883R
    So I’m more than a little confused about my tyre choice:
    I read in some places that you should never mix belted and radial tyres and yet it seems my 2007 (2006 registration) 883R was fitted with a belted front tyre and a radial rear tyre – I’m thinking this because I read it somewhere, and that seems to be backed up by the 100/90-19 front and 150/80/R16 rear designation. In particular the ‘-‘ in the front tyre spec and the ‘R’ in the rear.
    I just want to fit a new radial rear without changing the front (which has only done 3000 miles); can I ?
    Is the front (Dunlop/HD D401F) a cross-ply?

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hello triple&twin,

The D401 H-D branded Dunlop you have on the front is a Cross Ply or Bias Ply, both mean the same.

There is no law in the UK against mixing Cross Ply and Radial tyres, however most riders prefer to use the same construction tyre front & rear. Mixing tyres does make the handling feel strange at first, but after a few miles the rider will become accustomed to the difference in handling.

The only case where mixing Cross Ply and Radial tyres is illegal, is on the same axle of a car, lorry, bus etc.

So if you want to keep your Dunlop Cross Ply front tyre and use a radial on the rear, that's entirely up to you, there is no law against it.

Cheers,

Dave.

My Ride
    883R
    OK, thanks. The handling felt strange to me when riding the bike home with the front wanting to follow any ridges in the road and the (nearly bald) rear eventually following on. A lot of counter-steering force required too, even on cambered roads which I initially thought was a bent frame/forks until I noticed it was the same on both adverse and positive cambers. But I guess just getting used to this over my lighter more nimble Jap bike, and the narrow tall bars all contributed to that. I soon got the hang of it though and smiled and even laughed out loud on a busy wet and windy M4 during the trip!

Anyone got any standard bars they don't need!!!

And mid mount controls too!!!!