Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Kings!

My Ride
    Saving for a RK

Road Kings!

Having spent a couple of hours every night for two weeks googling all things Road King I thought I would post up the best review done so far on the 2017 model.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CC3XcZwWv2w

Incredibly I have not come across a negative review, even non Harley sports bike riders love em when they get on one and understand what the touring cruiser is about.

It seems that the transformation with the 2017 model which has the new Milwaukie 8 engine (8 valves, counter balanced and oil/air cooled, 10% more power) is "awesome" with owners trading in there old Kings, glides etc on the spot once they have ridden it. It still has the same Harley noise but the vibration has almost gone (you can actually see what is in your mirrors) and linked to the new less clunky transmission it is taking the breath away of Road King die hards. The engine is cooler and ticks over slower at stand still.

The suspension has also been addressed with new technology shocks all round, no more bottoming out, more travel adjustment and coupled with the new brakes the handling is markedly improved by all accounts. The primary cover stands out less proud so you have a straighter leg when stopped. Saddle bag catches are the new type as the recent older ones tended to work lose seeing your bags bounce down the road. The handle bar position has also very slightly changed as well as the chassis to accomodate the new engine and transmission.

The new bike has put the Road King not equal to the Indian but back at the top of the pile. It,s not cheap however at 19-20k.

For some reason the RK Classic is not now available in the States, (they just have the RK), nor are the wire wheels as an option but is still available abroad. I presume it will be discontinued altogether in time but wonder why and maybe wrong. I prefer the wire wheels but they must be a real PITA to keep clean, especially the rears as they are so hidden.

Keep saving, keep saving, keep saving... I have got the idea of going back to biking passed the wife and the kids have got the Harley idea having been for a family outing to the Harley Dealership on my birthday . 18 months to wait!!

The only thing I have never liked are the buckles on the bags. The Harley Custom bags now discontinued looked much better I thought without buckles. The hard bags look nicer and are probably more practical and secure!? Lose the buckles, white walls and screen and the bike looks very old school, meaner, not such a dandy! IMHO. This one below has too much chrome for me but looks nice without the screen, never had a bike with a screen but have to say with it on it makes a huge difference even up to near 70 you don,t notice much turbulence.

How many Road King owners are there on here? This touring section seems quiet...
    Last edited by Zagato; 10-25-2016 at 09:28 AM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson V-Rod
    I have to be honest and say that is a very good looking bike - I also like the look of the Indian Chief Vintage...both have big price tags though so may be a while before one comes my way...Thanks for sharing the write up though, always nice to hear others views.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to signxman For This Useful Post:

Andyman (10-30-2016)

My Ride
    Saving for a RK
    This guy knows his bikes, works on them for a living, keeps upgrading his Harley's. He had a Road King, then a Street Glide and test road the new Street Guide with Milwauki engine... Listen to his reactions, WOW! He bought it the next day of course!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m6jseOo9kiY

Oh yes forgot to say they have a new hydraulic clutch, much smoother pick up as he discovered but he didn,t know about a lot of the new innovations but did notice them on his test ride...
    Last edited by Zagato; 10-24-2016 at 10:46 AM.

My Ride
    Road King Special
    I have just bought a Road King but it is a 2016 model with the 103 engine. It has a lot of extras and I love it. I am new to biking but find it very easy to ride. I am getting used to the weight when manoeuvring and the gearbox is a bit clunky but there are no vibration issues. I had a Sportster 1200 before and the comfort is a different world. It's also nice to have some baggage capacity

My Ride
    Saving for a RK
    You have a great bike Sooty with a well proven engine. The vibration thing is a Harley thing, not really noticeable at speed just when stationary and in a lower gear slow pace. Die hards were worried the vibration would be taken out altogether but they left a bit in on the new engine!! You have some nice extras on yours, Guildford is my local branch. When I finally get mine in whatever guise I,ll meet you at Newlands Corner

My Ride
    Saving for a RK
    This video shows the vibration

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V_t0b5KWjZo

Close up of the engine shows it trying to jump out of the chassis! If helicopter pilots suffer from piles, Harley owner must be very attached to their rubber rings Lol. All part of the Harley character
    Last edited by Zagato; 10-27-2016 at 03:32 PM.

My Ride
    Saving for a RK
    Dyna testing the new Milwauki 8 107 engine, very impressive apparently, a lot of power over a tuned etc 103 engine and smooooooth!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14GTzeqEY6Y

Interesting road test, says it is near a stage 4 103 engine. video shows a road king being thrown around roundabouts, good lean angle treated and nailed it from a stop start. 2.30 mins in...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGUhSIIXZLw

Mentions smoother engine, Improved brakes and less clunky transmission... still not seen a bad review, people love em!
    Last edited by Zagato; 10-29-2016 at 07:39 PM.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    They were really hyping the new engine when I was at biketoberfest a few weeks ago. From reviews I've read and from what they were saying at the rally, it a very impressive engine. It was certainly getting a lot more attention than the respective Indian and Victory stands.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE

Road Kings!

That was happening when you were there whistler..Americans love willie wonkas oompah-loompas. It wasn't all to do with the bike lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Now do you really want to start . The raz a mataz over there is full on. What was cool was that they had the Harleys from sons of anarchy and the capt America movie.
    FTW )