Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Not sure about the life/longevity of helmets nowadays. An old Arai of mine actually had an expiry year stamped on the strap. Helmets have come a long way with regards to design, materials and of course the removable and washable linings. The foam in my old Dainese had actually started to crumble to dust. I found the following link regarding mythbusting about the life of helmets and wondered what other peoples views are?

http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prote...th-792859.html

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Dyna FXDB Street-Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    wondered what other peoples views are?
    I haven't been able to read the link, as I'm just procrastinating at work, and that site is blocked... but...
    I've allways been under the impression that the attitude of helmets having a longevity makes sense.
    Plastic, sponge, Styrofoam or whatever they use inside that shell surely must have a life.

however, I think that wearing an open face in the first place is enough lack of care, that anything else shouldn't matter. Open faces are not as safe as full face, fact.
    As long as it meets ECE 22.05, I'm happy.
    as long as there isn't a use by date, i'm happy and I'll wear it.

Thinking of it now... might ask santa for a Mt LeMans this christmas
    'You are more well balanced and mature than your first post suggested.'

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tash View Post
    I've allways been under the impression that the attitude of helmets having a longevity makes sense.
    Plastic, sponge, Styrofoam or whatever they use inside that shell surely must have a life.
    That was my assumption too. Nevertheless the results of the tests below indicate that Styrofoam can be good for up to 26 years apparently? These are bicycle helmets but surely motorcycle helmets must be the same using the same materials?

http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm

Just in case you have no access again Tash.....

"In 2015 MEA Forensic reported on their extensive testing of used (but not crashed) bicycle helmets shows that the foam liners retain their performance over many years. Some of the helmets were as old as 26 years. They crash tested 675 helmets in their lab. Their analysis showed that there was no significant impact performance change with age. Their data including all 675 helmets tested produced only a 0.7g per year increase in impact readings at the higher drop height. After crash testing the helmets on a standard test rig, MEA took core samples from an uncrashed area of 63 helmets and tested them. This generated data based solely on the foam performance. Again, the findings indicate that helmet liner foam does not deteriorate with age."
    Last edited by K9F; 10-31-2016 at 11:17 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-31-2016), Tash (10-31-2016)

My Ride
    Dyna FXDB Street-Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Again, the findings indicate that helmet liner foam does not deteriorate with age."
    Well, would you look at that.
    i guess those bowl helmets from the 40s and 50s don't seem as scary looking anymore.

All this statistics, impact zones, sharp and ECE ratings, death rates, but I still think that if helmets weren't mandatory I would ride out with just a hat and glasses on a hot summer's day

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Ok Mal,

Helmet manufacturers say we should replace our helmets every five years. Is this just a ploy to sell more helmets?

My Ride
    Bagger - Street Glide Rushmore
    Quite possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Dyna FXDB Street-Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Ok Mal,

Helmet manufacturers say we should replace our helmets every five years. Is this just a ploy to sell more helmets?
    maybe it's one of those things that have not been disproved yet, like cigarettes being a lung cleaner in the 20s or the fact that your brain would fry if you were to sleep with your phone next to your head. Or testicle cancer/infertility if you were to hold the laptop on your lap.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    I don't care if helmets last longer than 5 years or more..technology changes all the time, so surely a helmet in 5 yrs time should provide more protection than today??? Also I bet in 5 yrs a lot of guys here will probably be wanting the latest style/colours etc that a new helmet will bring with it also??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Dyna FXDB Street-Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    Also I bet in 5 yrs a lot of guys here will probably be wanting the latest style/colours etc that a new helmet will bring with it also??
    This is why BLACK is the best colour. it never gets out of fashion :P
    The darkness cometh as dave would say.

My Ride
    Bagger - Street Glide Rushmore
    Also gives us a perfect excuse to buy a new lid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk