Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Ride
    '12 WideGlide, 05 XB9 Buell, 52 Pan,

HD open face helmets

Just a heads up (!) for anyone thinking about getting an open face lid and being put off by the cost of the HD branded ones. I was gonna go cheapo but the missus nagged and I remembered an accident years ago where I was wearing a Bell open face. That lid was well trashed but my precious head was fine.

Comparing cheapies and Bells you can see the difference in quality. Obviously head shape is a factor but the Bell is very comfortable and sits fine on my head up to about 85. Wind rush noise is probably more than with a full face but acceptable (I use ear plugs on anything over a few miles)

In conclusion I'm not only really pleased with the helmet (honestly say it's increased my riding enjoyment) I'm really pleased I spent the extra.

PS I didn't really want a Harley branded lid, I had decided to get a plain black Bell but there was an offer on...

Hope this is useful?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight (2016)
    I have a HD branded helmet and last week, after 4 months of ownership, the popper that holds the strap came away. Not ideal, but West Coast HD swapped it for me right off. I do like the style and the fit and would recommend, but don't carry it it by the chin strap as the popper isn't the best!

My Ride
    Dyna FXDB Street-Bob
    I allways thought that if you're wearing an open face, you probably don't care about safety anyway, so any cheapo is fine, as long as it's an ECE 22.05, so insurance doesnt fuck ya' over.

I do get the comfort argument though, there's definitely a difference between my current lid (80) to a Schuberth C3 (300). Both have the same rating on SHARP
    'You are more well balanced and mature than your first post suggested.'

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Always worn a half face lid from day 1. I feel safer because I can see better, hear better and and am more in touch with my surroundings. I always by a decent lid though. New one is a Harley branded one with hidden visor.
    FTW )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

100thmonkey (10-31-2016)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    I wear a shoei full face helmet as I wanted total protection. I guess it's a case of each to their own on this one

My Ride
    Iron 2016
    I bought one of these:
    HELMET-BELL-GREY-STAR-RETRO-3-4-EC-98320-15E-640x480.jpg
    Comfortable but does not move around. Stays put at speed unlike my previous cheapo that tried to escape! Really well made. About the same cost as standard 500 but love the graphics. Next time I'll get a retractable visor though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Ride
    Dyna FXDB Street-Bob
    Do we know who manufactures harleys helmets?
    They recently put a new model out with Arai....

I think LS2 were the ones to be producing the helmets for HD, but then again that was just unconfirmed rumours...
    'You are more well balanced and mature than your first post suggested.'

My Ride
    Not sure, think mine is a Bell.
    FTW )

My Ride
    '12 WideGlide, 05 XB9 Buell, 52 Pan,
    Some of the HD branded helmets (like the one above with the star and mine) are made by Bell. Having trashed a Bell open face lid in a prang many years ago with no injury to my nut I kinda rate them!

I look on wearing an open face v full face in the same way as wearing a normal leather jacket v armoured leathers: yes you increase the potential for injury but personally I think that risk is mitigated by heightened awareness of ones surroundings and probably riding slower and more carefully as a result?

I certainly enjoy the riding experience more with an open face lid, oh till piggin rains that is!

My Ride
    Must admit after a lifetime of wearing half face helmets, my new HD one with hidden flip down visor is handy when it rains.
    FTW )