Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scuffing tyre

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Can see clearer now, thanks for the photos. Dremel it.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-19-2016), Pipe n Slippers (07-19-2016)

My Ride
    1993 Softail FXSTC
    The new tyre is the same section/size as the original (according to the Avon sizing chart). The new Cobra has a micro bead on each side and it's that that's catching.
    Whilst I had the wheel out I have stripped the calliper and given it a good inspection. I was alarmed at how much the outside pad had worn away, inconspicuously. The wear is very uneven and was less than 0.5mm at the bottom RH side. When I've looked at it previously as a matter of course it had plenty of material on the sides that can be seen easily. The inside pad has worn evenly and still has over 2mm of material overall. The seals are good and the fluid was clear. I think the shims have been at fault because they are not a good fit for some reason and haven't allowed proper pad movement.
    Although the bike is 23 yrs old and had 12k miles on it I've owned it for only 6 weeks. It now has over 13.5k miles. In that time I have learned plenty and am enjoying all my experiences with it. To me fettling and tinkering is an enhancement (and cheaper !).
    Thanks to both you and K9F. The photos were a good idea indeed and I appreciate your input.
    Safe Journeys.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pipe n Slippers For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-20-2016)