Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Fair dues. Thinking like a 4 wheeler here instead of a 2 wheeler. It's why I asked the question.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I think it's a bit like vehicle recalls especially for software upgrades. Everyone will rush to get it, the logic behind it thinking it is free and their vehicle will drive like a Ferrari or Porsche afterwards?
    IF Nitrogen was available free-gratis in my immediate vicinity I would naturally use it. I would still check the pressures and carry out my other methodical checks on a regular basis regardless. I am lucky I have a garage not 150 yards from my house that provides free air (not many garages do down here) so I have no excuse. I would not travel to anywhere else to get Nitrogen as the convenience of my local garage far exceeds any benefits to be had from filling with Nitrogen elsewhere.

On a similar subject regarding tyres though I do pay extra and use Dynamic Balancing Beads. When my tyres are eventually swapped out on the Harley these will be fitted in lieu of weights. The tyres remain dynamically balanced for the duration of fitment giving longer life. Now they are worth it in my experience. The only reason they have not been fitted through the valve stems on my Harley is that I currently have no weights fitted to the rims and no balancing issues at present. I have huge tyres on my Land Rover and used to have loads of unsightly weights on the rims that corrode and ruin the rim finish. I now have 8 ounces of beads in each tyre which can be used time and time again, no weights and no corrosion or damaged rims as a result. They pay for themselves too over time as you are not paying for balancing and getting longer life.

There is a conversion chart in the table especially for Harley Davidsons too!

http://www.dynabeads.co.uk/dynabeads_bike.php
    Last edited by K9F; 07-15-2016 at 01:13 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post

On a similar subject regarding tyres though I do pay extra and use Dynamic Balancing Beads. When my tyres are eventually swapped out on the Harley these will be fitted in lieu of weights. The tyres remain dynamically balanced for the duration of fitment giving longer life. Now they are worth it in my experience. The only reason they have not been fitted through the valve stems on my Harley is that I currently have no weights fitted to the rims and no balancing issues at present. I have huge tyres on my Land Rover and used to have loads of unsightly weights on the rims that corrode and ruin the rim finish. I now have 8 ounces of beads in each tyre which can be used time and time again, no weights and no corrosion or damaged rims as a result. They pay for themselves too over time as you are not paying for balancing and getting longer life.

There is a conversion chart in the table especially for Harley Davidsons too!

http://www.dynabeads.co.uk/dynabeads_bike.php
    Do garages offer this option when replacing bike tyres or would you have to supply the dyna beads yourself?

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Ok Mal,

It's best to check the condition of your tyres daily, you'll be able to see any nails, glass or other foreign object lodged in your tyres. The front of my garage is gravelled, I'm forever pulling out gravel lodged in the tread of my tyres.

I once had a rear blowout after running over a broken beer bottle that some idiot had thrown onto the road. I was riding my old Triumph TR7RV Tiger 750 at the time and fortunately I managed to stop safely with the flat. I've never had a front blowout, that would be scary.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    Do garages offer this option when replacing bike tyres or would you have to supply the dyna beads yourself?
    No they do not supply. Indeed my local fitter who is an old school mate had never heard of them. Larger lorry tyre fitters will have. They are used prolifically in the good ol' U.S of A. They have not 'caught on' so much over here as people have the misconception you pay extra for them, without weighing up the longer term benefits. You need to source them yourself using the table to decide how much you need to buy. Take them to your fitter next time you need a tyre swap and ask him to fit them inside the tyre (if tubeless). They do not need balancing at all. Alternatively you can remove your weights off the wheels, buy the valve stem adaptor and fit them yourself through the valve stem. They can also be used on tyres that need inner tubes.
    Last edited by K9F; 07-15-2016 at 03:55 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Tried that little fad a few years ago, managed to ride and drive for 30 years without it!

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboy4 View Post
    Tried that little fad a few years ago, managed to ride and drive for 30 years without it!
    https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/nitrogen-vs-air

There are some good points i think. Shows pros and cons on that thread.

Loads of little fads 30 years ago..here is an example of one from the beginning of last century but it is an actual quote of a "fad"...

"The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.” — The president of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Co., 1903

Granted, not on the same par as a horse or the Ford motor company but prove its a "fad".

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboy4 View Post
    Surprised you went so far as to try it!

Read the following elsewhere....

Never mind Nitrogen, trust you're using Harley-Davidson branded air in your tyres? Supposedly the tyres last a hell of a lot longer but only if the tyres are also Harley-Davidson branded?

Also don't forget that Harley-Davidson Branded batteries produce electrons with tiny Bar and Shields attached to them, this makes them work a damn sight more effectively apparently and without these Bar and Shields your electrics won't work at all?

Finally all the above is immaterial unless you have Willy G valve stem caps fitted.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster
    you get about 78% nitrogen filling with a foot pump so i dont think there is much point

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200C
    There's no point at all in bike tyres. Aeroplanes use them because Nitorgen doesn't support moisture build up and without moisture, there's less unpredictability in pressure changes with temperature rise so tyres behave far more predictably and there's a positive aspect to using it. With bikes, tubed or tubeless there's no real advantages at all as they're not subject to the temperature and pressure extremes of an aircraft tyre or racing tyres on something like moto-GP bikes or F1 cars where pressures are super critical.

People often cite the fact that Nitrogen filled tires are less prone to deflation over the year. Studies have revealed that the differences are less than 1.5 psi in a year and responsible riders ought to check tyre pressures weekly anyway. That leaves "fad" and "gimmick" plus you can impress your mates at the pub...."yeah.....super stable ride now I run on Nitrogen, man....hic!" . It's cobblers.
    Last edited by BuckhornBud; 10-27-2017 at 07:22 PM.