Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Ride
    Custom
    Another reason aircraft use nitrogen in their tyres & the main reason for using it is the fact that in a fire the exploding tyre does not inject a huge amount of combustable oxygen into the fire. As nitrogen is inert it does not burn. There may well be other benefits such as being more stable during flight as a modern jet may experience temperature changes during a normal flight of +40C on the ground to -56C during flight, but the non-burning benefit is the primary reason.
    As for using it in your bike/car, I just wouldn't waste my time and money. I always check my tyre pressures before going out & having to rent a bottle of nitrogen to do that instead of using my compressor just doesn't make sense. Nobody would ever be able to tell the difference anyway, no matter who they are !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CAT3 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-01-2018)

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT3 View Post
    Another reason aircraft use nitrogen in their tyres & the main reason for using it is the fact that in a fire the exploding tyre does not inject a huge amount of combustable oxygen into the fire. As nitrogen is inert it does not burn. There may well be other benefits such as being more stable during flight as a modern jet may experience temperature changes during a normal flight of +40C on the ground to -56C during flight, but the non-burning benefit is the primary reason.
    As for using it in your bike/car, I just wouldn't waste my time and money. I always check my tyre pressures before going out & having to rent a bottle of nitrogen to do that instead of using my compressor just doesn't make sense. Nobody would ever be able to tell the difference anyway, no matter who they are !
    indeed, for the last 30 years, for braked wheels, on large commercial aircraft, it has been mandatory to have a placard saying "inflate with nitrogen only", and that the oxygen content does not exceed 5 percent by volume

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rosswg For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-01-2018)

My Ride
    1999 Super Glide
    Putting pure Nitrogen in the tyres is a thing the F1 people do, pure (dry) nitrogen does not expand like the air you breathe as that has moisture in it. This moisture will expand a lot, look at a boiling kettle when the water boils.
    If you travel in excess 0ff 200mph it may help, but at the speeds we travel at i doubt it would make much difference.
    i sort of went through a similar thing on my Trike i had, the tyres were 15in dia * 11 1/2 wide, i phone the tyre manufacturer and asked for help with the pressure settings. They told me that they work closely with the manufacturer with regard to the weight of the vehicle and the speeds that it will do. I think Harley Davidson will have gone this route.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    The only justification for some using nitrogen would be if each and every nitrogen molecule had a Harley-Davidson Bar and Shield logo on it and you had to pay through the nose for it!

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    I only use the HD 'PERFORMANCE' nitrogen in my tyres because it is red...