Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE

Nitrogen in tyres. Yes/no?

Do any of you guys use nitrogen in your tyres? I have for the past few years done this for all my cars that I have owned and found that pressures have remained constant for over 6 months at a time and was looking for your thoughts on it. I reckon it should be used in all tyres as it is by far superior to just plain ole compressed air but wanted to run it by you guys in case you know something about it that I don't.

I did look online also and found this post. http://motorbikewriter.com/is-nitrog...orcycle-tyres/

Let me know your thoughts?

Cheers.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Hadn't heard of that. Where you getting the nitrogen supplied from.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Kinross does it free.. Tyrefair

Tyres will just get deflated then filled up with nitrogen...I guess I should check if they do motorcycle tyres for free but I shouldn't see any reason why not. I get at least 6 months without touching my tyres.. The front wheels on my merc have nearly done a year without me touching them and the pressure still ok.
    Last edited by Dod; 07-15-2016 at 12:55 AM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    ........ I reckon it should be used in all tyres as it is by far superior to just plain ole compressed air........
    Really?......Far superior? I think not!

It is somewhat of a myth with some benefits for those that race or fly. Whether air or nitrogen is used pressure is pressure and a leak is a leak. Pure Nitrogen is denser but not by much. Read on....The air we breathe and put into our tyres contains 78% Nitrogen anyway. Do you honestly think in the Harley Davidson scheme of things it is going to make such a huge difference replacing the remaining 21% Oxygen and 1% other gas for Nitrogen?

I was in the Air Force for many years and nitrogen is used in aircraft tyres to prevent moisture content and associated freezing problems at -40c whilst in flight and subsequent landing imbalance of wheels possibly due to the frozen moisture content. The less moisture content also reduces corrosion and makes tyres operate better in extremes of operating temperatures in the racing fraternity.
    In our world as Joe Public I think I'll carry on using the free supply at my local Co-Op garage. Unless of course I can lay my hands on a mega cheap Nitrous Oxide injection kit and intend riding my 48 through the sound barrier, I will then fill my tyres with 100% Nitrogen.

Kinross does it free.. Tyrefair .......
    You are lucky to have a convenient local free supply of it. I would perhaps use it too? But to profess it is far superior is a mistake. It is not and it costs money to produce pure Nitrogen. I wonder before you found your free source if you had to pay for it would you be advocating it so much now?
    Last edited by K9F; 07-15-2016 at 09:07 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Really?......Far superior? I think not!

It is somewhat of a myth with some benefits for those that race or fly. Whether air or nitrogen is used pressure is pressure and a leak is a leak. Pure Nitrogen is denser but not by much. Read on....The air we breathe and put into our tyres contains 78% Nitrogen anyway. Do you honestly think in the Harley Davidson scheme of things it is going to make such a huge difference replacing the remaining 21% Oxygen and 1% other gas for Nitrogen?

I was in the Air Force for many years and nitrogen is used in aircraft tyres to prevent moisture content and associated freezing problems at -40c whilst in flight and subsequent landing imbalance of wheels possibly due to the frozen moisture content. The less moisture content also reduces corrosion and makes tyres operate better in extremes of operating temperatures in the racing fraternity.
    In our world as Joe Public I think I'll carry on using the free supply at my local Co-Op garage. Unless of course I can lay my hands on a mega cheap Nitrous Oxide injection kit and intend riding my 48 through the sound barrier, I will then fill my tyres with 100% Nitrogen.

You are lucky to have a convenient local free supply of it. I would perhaps use it too? But to profess it is far superior is a mistake. It is not and it costs money to produce pure Nitrogen. I wonder before you found your free source if you had to pay for it would you be advocating it so much now?

Erm, yeah I did use to pay for it prior. The way I look on it is that I don't have to keep on checking on it as often as you do as pressures stay stable longer= less maintenance
    Last edited by Dod; 07-15-2016 at 10:15 AM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    ......I get at least 6 months without touching my tyres.. The front wheels on my merc have nearly done a year without me touching them .......
    ........ The way I look on it is that I don't have to keep on checking on it as often as you do as pressures stay stable longer= less maintenance
    Familiarity breeds contempt. Personally for the amount of time it takes and for safety reasons I would rather check my tyres regularly than 'assume' due to the magical powers of Nitrogen that they are the correct and safe pressures for riding/driving. I also check for foreign objects/cuts in the tyres whilst doing it. Personal choice really, less maintenance especially in the case of a motorcycle is not good reasoning in my book. A puncture at speed on a motorcycle is not a good place to be either from a geographical or emotional perspective!

Last edited by K9F; 07-15-2016 at 10:31 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Think i agree with you on this, I check my tyres weekly.
    FTW )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

K9F (07-15-2016)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I do too.....regardless! Unless of course the weather is that bad or due to other commitments the bike remains in the garage.
    Last edited by K9F; 07-15-2016 at 10:56 AM.

My Ride
    Fair points..thx for replies..

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Welcome. Checking tyres can also reveal potential other issues. On my Triumph whilst checking the tyres I noticed a cracked link on my drive chain. I know chains don't apply to all Harleys but generally it's all part of good husbandry and safety. Some people don't bother and I admit I don't so much on my four wheeled vehicles. But when something goes wrong with wheels, tyres or drivetrain on a motorcycle the implications and consequences are usually more severe than with a four wheeled mode of transport. To me giving the bike a regular once over is a prudent thing to do! I enjoy that aspect of ownership too.