Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Morning Mal,

As you stated RS & Farnells are expensive but both hold a huge range of components. Farnells are on the way into Leeds from Halifax, for me it's very easy to get too. RS were originally Radio Spares, so they too were for "radio ham's" in the beginning.There is also an RS Components store in Leeds.

Whilst at Marshalls I also bought electrical components from Edmundson, City Electrical, Scattergood & Johnson, JG Harrison and Simms Electrical. etc.

Have a good day,

Dave.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 03-31-2016 at 01:26 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Hi Guys, i have been doing a bit more digging about having the twin head lamps on together or changing anything electrical other than HD bolt on bits and it looks like the problem I have is the CANbus system fitted on the 2014 onwards UK Fat bobs(and other some models), from what i understand the CANbus monitors and diagnoses the loads and reports faults like blown bulbs etc, from what i have found out if i were to change the std UK twin fat bob headlamp unit to the american domestic model which allows both low lamps on together and both High beam lamps on together, the CANbus system would sense a fault and show a code, it may also close down part or all of the affected electrical system, BUMMER!!! not good at all for anyone like me wanting to change electrical items, i also wanted to look at swapping the rear end indicators and tail light for LED ones these may work but a Harley Tec recommended I DID NOT cut or splice any rear end wiring as they had a problem with the rear end on a bike shutting down until they replaced the wiring as the CANbus sensed the voltage difference as it uses a pulse method to detect faults. all this being said i am not tech wizard so i am now lost as to what to do, some yank firms offer modulators but i just dont know which way is up now, anyone got any ideas????

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nige.61 For This Useful Post:

Maccbob (09-20-2016)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    This is from another thread explaining the basics of a canbus system.

Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Just for information. Canbus systems as mentioned are very sensitive. A canbus is a two way street, a transmitter will often send out a signal or, in normal running and along the same path return values will be expected that must be within certain parameters. Any change in the resistance value of that circuit (for example a poorly formed in-line splice or in the event it is part of your alarm system even swapping incandescent lamps out for LED ones) numerous other faults can manifest themselves.
    The simplest solution but most labour intensive would be perhaps to circumvent the canbus system totally and hard-wire the lights in independently. After all the system does not detect a fault when the lights are switched off. Unless of course they are switched on whilst running and are looking for the relevant signals (which is what I suspect). Without detailed electrical diagrams and details of what the canbus send out and expect as return signals it is too difficult.
    This involves someone with the capability of accessing the ECU and reading the programme, another option would be to inhibit that aspect of the programme so the relevant signals of the lights are simply ignored. The latter is way beyond my capabilities as an engineer and not a programmer. If you are saying there are modulators available that profess to get round this problem dependent on cost I would give it a shot as you don't have much to lose.

See what happens if the light is disconnected and the bike running. If no faults are displayed the independently hard-wired lights suggested would work in your scenario. If not you could consider fitting a resistor to the same value of your current headlight in the circuit to 'fool' the canbus system and independently hard-wire thereafter. Just a couple of ideas.
    Last edited by K9F; 04-01-2016 at 08:47 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I think this may be getting a bit deep. From what I was told by the H-D mechanic, he has done a few of these and it required a couple of connectors and an hour labour. As soon as I hear from them I'll let you know, but that's got to be better than splicing wires and adding resistors, if it really is plug-and-play (unless I've been sorely mislead of course).

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by mbird99 View Post
    .......From what I was told by the H-D mechanic,.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige.61 View Post
    ......but a Harley Tec recommended.......
    Are there such things at dealers?

Instead of rumour and conjecture hurry up someone and 'jury rig' a set of twin lights in, we can then all be put out of our misery. We could also possibly be the first to post a definitive answer on the internet in the whole world perhaps? The solution isn't deep with the resistor but we need to know what sort of hand we have been dealt in the first place metaphorically speaking. We could theorise until doomsday what 'may' or 'may not' be.

Last edited by K9F; 04-01-2016 at 11:12 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I have chased them, so hope something will transpire this week....

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 2015 Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by mbird99 View Post
    I have chased them, so hope something will transpire this week....
    I would like to have my FB headlight working so that both lights are on for dip & main beam ... anyone know if Mbird (or anyone else) managed to get a simple solution to this ?

My Ride

2015 Fat Bob Twin Headlamps

Quote Originally Posted by percysybil View Post
    I would like to have my FB headlight working so that both lights are on for dip & main beam ... anyone know if Mbird (or anyone else) managed to get a simple solution to this ?
    Seeing as the weather doesn't allow a dry ride out, I've decided to take the plunge and give a pair of cheapo Chinese Daymaker copies a go.. secured the wiring harness from eBay and am going to give it a go once I find out how to take apart the existing headlight assembly

My Ride
    Sorted the dual headlight issue today in about an hour...
    No Canbus error codes and am well please with the result

My Ride
    Road King Special
    That looks very good. Maybe I will have a look again at the Chinese copies to see if I can get one plus driving lights for a 2016 Road King..