Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Street Bob

Post Meet the Anti-corrosion crew!

Here are my top products for keeping the rust and corrosion away from the Harley....

1) ACF-50 - one drop down every spoke hole, once a year, electrical connectors, nooks and crannies and you can smear it on using a rag just about anywhere else if you're riding all year round.
    2) Copper-slip - used on threads. After replacing many of my engine casing bolts as well as lots of other cycle parts with stainless I smeared a small amount of copper-slip on the threads to help prevent water ingress and stop the reaction you sometimes get between alloy and stainless.
    3) Marine grease, good for smearing inside the swing arm end cap, wheel shafts etc
    4) Motorex 'motoprotect' - an awesome product that I've been using for years. 1000% better than WD-40. use it on everything! (except brake discs of course!) I used to own a Triumph T509, this bike was my daily ride and when I finally sold it (wish I hadn't now) it was in remarkable condition compared to others of the same age and mileage, I attribute this to regular use of the Motorex product.

If you've got any other products that you've found to help keep corrosion at bay then let us know
    Anti Corrosion crew.jpg
    Last edited by Streetbob; 03-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Streetbob For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-13-2016), K9F (03-13-2016), supereddy (04-29-2017), Trevor the Toad (03-13-2016)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    What a great idea. To add my pennethworth I work in the marine industry and perhaps one of the best rust removers and inhibitors I have come across is Fertan. It can be sprayed on and will seep into nooks and crannies and dry. If it then subsequently becomes moist the chemical properties of the Fertan will reactivate to prevent and remove any rust that may have occurred in the interim or is about to.

http://www.fertan.co.uk/

For your four wheeled vehicles Dinitrol also do a well proven range of products that are excellent quality and do exactly what the say on the tin.

http://www.rejel.com/rejel-store/txt...ol/list/1.aspx

For all my needs I source from here with regards to corrosion prevention and cure. Delivery is quick and prompt. This stems from my experience in the 4X4 world and is the home link to the Dinitrol one above.

http://www.rejel.com/
    Last edited by K9F; 03-13-2016 at 05:17 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (03-13-2016), Streetbob (03-13-2016), Trevor the Toad (03-13-2016)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Dyna Street bob
    I have a confession. After several posts saying how much I hated cleaning my bike as I'd rather be riding.... I've become quite partial to a good Sunday morning clean. I'm coming to the end of the muc-off stuff that was given to me years ago. I've been ordering bits in to build up my cleaning supplies.

Acf 50 is on order and here's my simple question.

Do you just cover everything in it? Is more better?
    Any cleaning tips would be greatly appreciated also.

My Ride
    2004 VRSCB V-Rod
    Motorex 'motoprotect' - an awesome product that I've been using for years. 1000% better than WD-40. use it on everything!
    Streetbob, I assume this would be okay to use on the black 'wrinkle' engine casings on my sportster?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Andy.....I have found that liberally spraying the wrinkle black casings with WD40 whilst the bike is hot and immediately 'ragging and mopping off' brings them up a treat.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    2004 VRSCB V-Rod
    Excellent, Cheers Mal

Sounds like a perfect excuse to go for a spin tomorrow

My Ride
    2004 VRSCB V-Rod
    Excellent, Cheers Mal

Sounds like a perfect excuse to go for a spin tomorrow

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Not rust related but a cleaning product worthy of mention I felt on here.

Quote Originally Posted by mbird99 View Post
    I made the school-boy error of parking the Road King under a tree at the weekend. When I returned to it, I was horrified to find it covered in tree sap spots (wish I knew how to identify which trees drop sap!).

When I got home, I tried all sorts to get it off. Meths and White Spirit wouldn't touch it. An aggressive polish did start to shift it, but I only did a test patch as I didn't want to do that to the whole bike. I was a bit stumped.

We had left our helmets locked to the bike and they also had tree sap on them. I decided to try the Muc-off Helmet and Visor cleaner I had on the lids, and hey presto, the sap just vanished! I went back to the bike, and sure enough it took the sap straight off! I don't know what is in the stuff, but it can't be too nasty if it's safe on visors, so I reckon that could be a top tip for the future for stubborn marks! It also worked wonders on the bug splats on the windshield. Might have to try it on tar spots too.
    Maybe Streetbob could change the title to include cleaning products too perhaps? It'll all be neatly packaged in one place!

My Ride
    FLSS
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    What a great idea. To add my pennethworth I work in the marine industry and perhaps one of the best rust removers and inhibitors I have come across is Fertan. It can be sprayed on and will seep into nooks and crannies and dry. If it then subsequently becomes moist the chemical properties of the Fertan will reactivate to prevent and remove any rust that may have occurred in the interim or is about to.

http://www.fertan.co.uk/

For your four wheeled vehicles Dinitrol also do a well proven range of products that are excellent quality and do exactly what the say on the tin.

http://www.rejel.com/rejel-store/txt...ol/list/1.aspx

For all my needs I source from here with regards to corrosion prevention and cure. Delivery is quick and prompt. This stems from my experience in the 4X4 world and is the home link to the Dinitrol one above.

http://www.rejel.com/
    We need to get Zagato (Chris) over here to give his detailed overview of rustproofing ...

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberith View Post
    We need to get Zagato (Chris) over here to give his detailed overview of rustproofing ...
    I think not!

He is a self-styled aficionado who asked over 2000 questions before buying a Land Rover himself, selling shortly afterwards and setting himself up as an 'expert.' I wish him well as he saw a business opportunity and exploited it to the max. His going rate is over £600 (March this year when someone asked me for advice) to rust proof a Defender 90 to a 'fellow' forum member? You go figure it is daylight robbery for the time and products used in my book and I advised as such.

(Off topic..Just got back from MOT on the truck....sailed through. Had only covered 1,300 miles since the last MOT)
    Last edited by K9F; 06-10-2016 at 11:57 AM.