Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF is THAT??

My Ride
    '03 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide

Angry WTF is THAT??

I KNOW this is going to make me look like a right muppet - but in my defence - I HAVE only just bought this & it's the firast HD I've ever had ... there's a guage on my dash which I don't understand - it appears to be air pressure, and reads off the scale from start up, then after a few minutes settles down to about 60psi - I thought it was pressurising the suspension all round but the rear shocks ARE air but only linked to eachother & a schrader valve, nowt else.
    SOOOO - does it pressurise the fronts only ?
    Should it be reading like it is - I'm guessing not?
    Any non-abusive responses would be welcomed - but be gentle with me - I feel bad enough admitting I've bought a bike & don't know how it works!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I didn't know Harley had such things. I know the Goldwings show suspension air pressure on a display but not seen one on a Harley. Maybe if you post a picture of it someone will recognise it. I would be interested to know what it is too.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FLHTC
    Could be its linked to your handlebar which has the anti dive air system for front only,but thats usually on older models

My Ride

Muppetry solved (ish)

Ok - I NOW know it's reading TEMPERATURE (not pressure) and it's supposed to show the ambient air temp around the engine - but I guess someone sometime must have reversed the wiring as it reads dead hot to begin with, then reduces after a few minutes (I would have thought reversing the wiring would have stopped it working at all, so maybe the sensor's been changed for the wrong one?) either way and whatever the explanation - all the advice seems to be that this is THE single most useless thing HD have ever fitted to a bike - so I'm just going to spend the rest of my Harley-owning life ignoring the bloody thing!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Unevenshifty For This Useful Post:

Psycho (01-27-2017)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Street Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Unevenshifty View Post
    Ok - I NOW know it's reading TEMPERATURE (not pressure) and it's supposed to show the ambient air temp around the engine - but I guess someone sometime must have reversed the wiring as it reads dead hot to begin with, then reduces after a few minutes (I would have thought reversing the wiring would have stopped it working at all, so maybe the sensor's been changed for the wrong one?) either way and whatever the explanation - all the advice seems to be that this is THE single most useless thing HD have ever fitted to a bike - so I'm just going to spend the rest of my Harley-owning life ignoring the bloody thing!
    What bike do you have Unevenshifty? BTW, Nice to have you back in the forum

My Ride
    Street Bob Special
    I was going to say welcome - but welcome back anyway

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor the Toad For This Useful Post:

Unevenshifty (02-28-2016)

My Ride
    05 H-D Dyna FXDCI
    From the first post sounds like it could of been an oil pressure gauge but glad you figured out what it was and welcome back hope you stick around its slowly picking up
    When writing the story of your life, don’t let anyone else hold the pen.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smithy For This Useful Post:

Streetbob (02-06-2016), Unevenshifty (02-28-2016)

My Ride
    2003 Electra Glide bought as a Lithuanian import & (eventually) UK registered it!! Nearly a year on & I still think it's one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen IMG_20160228_143430.jpg

Banned
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Maybe the wires are on wrong way

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Im thinking of getting an older glide as im on a budget would you mind revealing what you paid ?
    Just to give me some idea you can pm me if you dont want to post
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk